How to edit recording to sound like your speaking on the phone?

I've seen some local rappers use this effect or whatever on their recordings where it sounds like they're talking over the phone. I googled it first but no luck really so can someone try to explain? Like, in a beginner way because I don't know too much about FL Studio 11 Producer Edition. I've just started seriously getting into this .

Try an EQ, highpass at 400ish and lowpass at around 2khz (essentially bandpass it) and boost whatever is in between that to taste. Then you could try to compress it quite heavily to give it that squashed old sound. Some saturation /distortion might work as well.

Experiment with different settings like these and you should start getting closer to something you want.

Last edited:
use a 4 band parametric eq

high pass 12db 650Hz
3.4db 1124Hz q=1
9db 2166Hz q=2
low pass 3oooHz 12db

this is the cubase preset for a phoneline

Maybe experiment with samplereduction through a bitcrusher as well, if i remember it right many phones use a samplerate that's below the Nyquist freq. If I remember it right they use somewhere around 22 050 samples/second? Or am I wrong?

I know exactly what you are talking about. Rapper usually use the effect on their adlibs. Its done through EQ - I don't remember the exact frequencies to tweak but in FL studio pull up parametric EQ 2 and look for a preset called ”Radio Effect” or something similar. From there you can add delay or slight reverb. Hope this helps

Maybe experiment with samplereduction through a bitcrusher as well, if i remember it right many phones use a samplerate that's below the Nyquist freq. If I remember it right they use somewhere around 22 050 samples/second? Or am I wrong?
I think you're right. I mastered an acapella of someone rapping into their phone last year and it was sent at that sample rate. Op could band pass and also send through an amp sim with a little overdrive.

Back