How does he get his kicks to knock?

KHZR

I am trying to make my kicks hit harder but I am having trouble. I have tried layering kicks but they don't seem to hit as hard as I want them to. Can anybody help?

I was trying to get my kicks like this:

First you need good drums samples not those free drums kits you get online great website is hiphopdrumsamplescom or nicky romero sonicacademy kick plugin wwwsonicacademycom KICK is great to make your own original kicks too then great eq will help make sure your kick has it own space in the mix because your kick and 808 fight for the same frequencies some people like take -3 to -4 db off the 808 wherever the kick hit usually around 300 to 550 Hz then take same off with wherever the 808 hit the hardest cutoff frequency you dont need under 50 Hz is not needed( people usually make their 808 mono cause you dont need a stereo 808 and make sure it in key) and then people use a compressor(waves bundle are good like the L1 Ultramaximizer or soundtoys decapitator) and make your kick is not compress most of the time with drum kits it been compressor already so once you get and compress it again it lose the dynamics of the kick and that why your kicks lose at lot of it punch.

Last edited:
Try using the kicks in the latest Boi-1da drum kit. (On his website)

He has these these hard thumping kicks

Samples is like 85-90% the problem. Mixing can only do so much. Next is arrangement and how you choose other sounds that work with and compliment the kick you chose.

Good luck.

tmoneygohard is right you have to have the right samples. It took me a while to realize that myself. As soon as you get the hardest hitting samples you will notice a change in your beats and also your inspiration when making a beat, because you won't have that obstacle in the way. go to HIPHOPRALLYCOM to get a free drum kit and also if you working with Maschine he has some great videos on his site.

Last edited:
I always check FLP's on Youtube and see if they give me any insight.

I am trying to make my kicks hit harder but I am having trouble. I have tried layering kicks but they don't seem to hit as hard as I want them to. Can anybody help?

How are you layering them? Are you EQing them properly to fit together?
Also, I use a lot of New York Style Compression on my kicks and that really helps them bang.

It is always better to cut then to boost when it comes to eq'ing. Try layering a kick that has a little bit of the low end knocked off, and place a sub with it with the high end knocked off. You will hear a tremendous difference.

Try using the best samples you can before anything. Another thing that helps me a lot is slightly boosting the punchier frequencies 110-135 then I use a little compression.

Back