How do i get a real kick and snare drum to sound punchy and fat?

I've never used the Ableton Compressor, but a little digging and as I thought the Makeup button is actually an "Auto Makeup" button.

Put simply, when you compress something you are reducing the peaks, and therefore reducing the overall level of the signal. This allows you to add some gain to return the signal to it's original overall level. That's called makeup gain.

Some compressors work with Auto Makeup Gain, where the compressor automatically adds an appropriate amount of gain depending on how much gain reduction is going on. A classic example of this would be an SSL desk channel compressor. On a good auto makeup compressor this gives it a different vibe, feel and sound to other compressors.

The trouble is that in my experience some compressors do Auto Makeup gain very badly, and in general on plugins I tend to stay well clear.

In short, turn off the Makeup button so that the compressor is in manual makeup mode. You'll then hear what the compressor is actually doing, and then you can use the slider on the output (the makeup gain) to replace the lost level... Probably not very much is required, you'll be able to hear the difference when bypassing the plugin.

Admittedly you have your ratio at 20:1, attack at 1s and release at 1ms... That's a very aggressive setting for this purpose, and whilst not necessarily wrong (depending on what it sounds like and your desired result), I wouldn't have chosen those settings for this purpose.

Read my blog article, it gives a good run through a starting point set up of a drum parallel compressor :)

Good luck.

Last edited:
good info, thanks for clearing that up, read your piece on parallel compression which was a good read too. Ive just tried routing the kicks and snare to a return track using some parallel compression ( lowered the attack and increased the release from before ) and it sounds really good

If you use ableton, what I do a lot is on the kick samples, cut off the release a little. Don't let the kick hang around longer than it should. Make it so that the Kick is kicking right away and move from there. But don't cut it too much. just enough so its punching out and not lingering after. I make sure I do that almost all the time. Also maybe filtering out 40-50 Hz or even 60 Hz. Then layer a low sub bass that triggers every time the kick hits. It'll add a nice feel good low end punch to your chest like bam! you can get a nice full kick like that too. Oh also don't forget to High Pass all your other instruments that don't need any low end frequencies! That's a big one. That'll help your kick punch through the whole mix way better

Last edited:
Find clean sample. Nothing more to say really. You can't polish a turd as they say. Always try to find sounds that will need the least mixing work because they already sound good.

Back