How to Accomplish this Vocal Effect ?

$

$uni

If you guys haven't noticed, hip-hop is starting to go a different direction yet again. "The Autotune Era". Thankfully, Chief Keef is starting to die down, but there are still a lot of successful artists who are using autotune. Just to name a few, Lil Wayne, Wiz Khalifa, T-Pain, Future, 2 Chainz, Drake, Kanye West. I dont know how y'all feel about the change, but I like some of the new sounds coming out (definitely not all of em). Personally Key! is a favorite

I realize every different person will sound a little different, but I'm just trying to emulate his vocal sound. What effects would you put on this, what plugins would you use? OR What does it sound like they are using to you? Here's a few tracks:

Last edited by a moderator:
Vocals are actually fairly simple in most cases. Autotune Compression and reverb in that order.

After you do overdubs and ad libs you may want to add tape delay to those. Otherwise theres not much there foreal, get a good mic for your voice.

I know kendrick always messes with the pitch shift plugins.

Then might want to slap a de-esser in the front of the chain if you're getting bad S's, and an EQ at the end of the chain to better fit them in the mix.

Oh and check out the reverb plugin from lexicon it sounds pretty legit :)

Last edited:
First of all, those vocals seem to be recorded not very close to the mic, because they all lack of a bit of top end (which gives to them that intimate feel...). Then, they are very De-essed as GETRICH420 says and, maybe, the key to the effect is the real voice mixed with a Chorus (I think I could do ti with Nectar or Doubler...) and a bit of Autotune.

Back