High frequency buzz in logic when using a USB mixer

Normangees

As the title suggests I'm getting a high frequency buzz when I open logic 8.0.2 after connecting my Alto Zephyr ZMX mixer. I've tried using a different USB port and a
different USB cable. The buzz only occurs in Logic, I can use the mixer as an audio interface to play music and as long as Logic isn't open its perfectly quiet.

Any ideas? I've seen a couple of similar threads but no solutions, I'm gonna say it's a Logic issue but how to resolve it leaves me stumped

Cheers

so it's a distorted 1kHz square wave tone - probably an issue with your interface drivers or a keyswitch in logic (more likely) to generate calibration tone

so it's a distorted 1kHz square wave tone - probably an issue with your interface drivers or a keyswitch in logic (more likely) to generate calibration tone

I've had a browse around Keyswitches online but haven't found anything that suggests a solution. Could it be a problem with my copy of Logic? Therefore would upgrading to the latest Logic version possibly solve the problem?

Cheers

Sounds like malfunctioning of the mixer, get a new one or try it in ableton and see if you have the same problem.
Have you messed with the settings in logic?

No I'm using an Imac so no option for that. I've also tried different USB ports and USB leads

Last edited:
Sounds like malfunctioning of the mixer, get a new one or try it in ableton and see if you have the same problem.
Have you messed with the settings in logic?

Its an Alto Zephyr ZMX128fx I believe. I'm going to take it to my friends to see how it reacts with his version of Logic. I haven't messed around with too much of the settings in Logic as I don't really know what I could tweak to resolve it and I don't want to make the problem worse. Have contacted Alto too with the sound bite, should be interesting to see what they say...

No I'm using an Imac so no option for that. I've also tried different USB ports and USB leads

are you running both the imac and the alto from the same circuit? i.e. the exact same powerpoint via power board?

trying to eliminate issues surrounding real and imaginary ground loops - too many myths about what a ground loop is

put them on the same power point if you can; this will satisfy me that it is not a ground loop issue

are you running both the imac and the alto from the same circuit? i.e. the exact same powerpoint via power board?

trying to eliminate issues surrounding real and imaginary ground loops - too many myths about what a ground loop is

put them on the same power point if you can; this will satisfy me that it is not a ground loop issue

Yes they are currently in the same powerboard. I've tried 2 separate powerboards too. Would this still effect solely Logic though? My main confusion is that the mixer works fine alongside my imac in other applications, it's just Logic where the problem arises.

Cheers

I'll go one step further then

what are your current project settings in logic?

what are the upper specs for the usb audio n the alto?

have you tried to match your logic project settings to these?

ps, this is how we troubleshoot long distance one question (or grouping of questions) at a time

I'll go one step further then

what are your current project settings in logic?

what are the upper specs for the usb audio n the alto?

have you tried to match your logic project settings to these?

ps, this is how we troubleshoot long distance one question (or grouping of questions) at a time

I can't find the specs for the USB audio part of the mixer anywhere. I have changed Logics settings from the lowest to the highest in the audio preferences and settings with no different.

I also checked out what it is like in other recording apps. The other other one I have is Garage band on this Mac and the same noise crops up there, it also crops up within the system preferences > Sound window when I'm on the Input tab. Not sure if that means anything

I could take a screengrab of my settings in logic if you like?

couldn't find the manual for the 128fx but did look at 124fx (and a few others)

bit depth is 24 bit
sample rate not specified

ps not interested in latency values/buffer settings but sample rate and bit depth

so set your logic bit depth to 24 bit

then cycle through 44.1kHz, 48kHz, 88.2kHz, 96kHz and see which setting has the least amount of crud in the signal

bit depth is 24 bit

ps not interested in latency values/buffer settings but sample rate and bit depth

then cycle through 44.1kHz, 48kHz, 88.2kHz, 96kHz and see which setting has the least amount of crud in the signal

Sorry my bad it is the 124fx. I'll give that a go tonight after work and fingers crossed we might get somewhere! Thanks for your help so far, will let you know how I get on

Cheers

bit depth is 24 bit

Hi, I have tried changing the sample rate with no lasting effect. It stops the buzz whilst it sorts itself out then back to the same hum. Doesn't seem to be any differentiation between the noise in each ofthe sample rates

I out of ideas then - based on your other comments/statements this is not a ground loop problem, so I am left to think it is an Apple OS/Logic problem, even then as you already say, it is not Apple OS but just Logic

- check with apple to see if they know of issues

- maybe check their faq for logic and this interface

I out of ideas then - based on your other comments/statements this is not a ground loop problem, so I am left to think it is an Apple OS/Logic problem, even then as you already say, it is not Apple OS but just Logic

- check with apple to see if they know of issues

- maybe check their faq for logic and this interface

No worries. Yeah its a real strange one. I'm currently using my mixer's outs through an older audio interface I have to record without the buzz...

Can't find anything on forums about Alto Zephyr mixers, it's really strange but I am in a very scattered and drawn out conversation with their tech support. 72hours+ in-between every email gets a bit tedious

Thanks for your help though

Cheers

Back