Help critique my mix (need help with hook)

therealonemic

Please help! This is my first attempt at mixing and I'm not sure what else I can do to make this sound better, especially the hook. I've been mixing in Logic because of all the free plugins, but I also have access to Protools Express.

Let me know what you think, thanks in advanced!

A subtle reverb and/or delay might help on the hook, maybe put a little bit of a chorus effect on as well? Something to help differentiate the chorus vocals from the hook would be good. Should be worth messing around with anyways.

It sounds good to me. Going off of what was already mentioned, I'd add a in multiple recordings for the hook as background vocals. That, along with maybe delays, chrorus, or reverb, would make the track more interesting and add a sense of space for the hook. I might also do a very broad and small cut around the low-mids (maybe somewhere around 300 and a a broad boost in the upper-mids (somewhere between 3-7k). That part might be my own taste though.

After the third hook, the vocal sounds a lot darker (more lower frequencies) than the rest of the vocals. If that wasn't intentional, I'd cut some lower frequencies and turn it's volume up a bit. Lastly, I feel like something could be automated on the vocals when the instrumental drops out around 1:30.

To me the vocals could use reverb. Not just on the hook, but subtly on the verses too. It's got that feeling of just getting recorded over someone else's beat. They just don't feel like they are blending in.

Maybe you're not into this, but I was really feeling like that chorus could use some doubles. Otherwise I agree with what was said above, it just needs something subtle to differentiate it from the verses.

What's good is that your recording is nice and consistent. I have to ask what you use for a mic/mic technique.

It sounds good to me. Going off of what was already mentioned, I'd add a in multiple recordings for the hook as background vocals. That, along with maybe delays, chrorus, or reverb, would make the track more interesting and add a sense of space for the hook. I might also do a very broad and small cut around the low-mids (maybe somewhere around 300 and a a broad boost in the upper-mids (somewhere between 3-7k). That part might be my own taste though.

After the third hook, the vocal sounds a lot darker (more lower frequencies) than the rest of the vocals. If that wasn't intentional, I'd cut some lower frequencies and turn it's volume up a bit. Lastly, I feel like something could be automated on the vocals when the instrumental drops out around 1:30.

Thanks! I agree, I messed around with some delays and chroruses but didn't like the way they sounded. I didn't want the song to sound overproduced, but i think doubling the vocals will give a more natural effect. Just curious, why would you very broad and small cut around the low-mids (maybe somewhere around 300 and a a broad boost in the upper-mids?

I can't answer for him, but my guess would be that your vocals have a little more weight than what's in style. Probably trying to get it to sound less old school and a bit more modern (less pac, more drake). Though your vocals are still pretty damn solid. It doesn't sound like a big low mid build up.

I think you should listen to domo23 by Tyler the Creator. Doesn't matter if you like him, I'm just using his doubles as an example. His doubles to me are really subtle. Consider doubles like those for your hook.

Its flat, no dynamic range the whole way through. You cut in and out at points and sing at different levels, but still the mix goes nowhere dynamically. Easy on the compressors/limiters. Your range goes up a bit during the chorus but you can't even tell if you aren't listening to your voice. You should feel the mix rise, not just the vocals.

Last edited:
To me the vocals could use reverb. Not just on the hook, but subtly on the verses too. It's got that feeling of just getting recorded over someone else's beat. They just don't feel like they are blending in.

Maybe you're not into this, but I was really feeling like that chorus could use some doubles. Otherwise I agree with what was said above, it just needs something subtle to differentiate it from the verses.

What's good is that your recording is nice and consistent. I have to ask what you use for a mic/mic technique.

Yeah. I did notice that verses didn't blend that well but I wasn't sure what I could do. I'll try adding reverb and let you know how it turns out. Definitely gonna double vocals on hook and try adding some other effects to it.

I'm using a Neumann TLM102 through a Golden Age Pre-73 MKII. I have a pop filter and my room is acoustically treated.

I can't answer for him, but my guess would be that your vocals have a little more weight than what's in style. Probably trying to get it to sound less old school and a bit more modern (less pac, more drake). Though your vocals are still pretty damn solid. It doesn't sound like a big low mid build up.

I think you should listen to domo23 by Tyler the Creator. Doesn't matter if you like him, I'm just using his doubles as an example. His doubles to me are really subtle. Consider doubles like those for your hook.

Good looks. Just heard domo23, I'll try using that technique.

Its flat, no dynamic range the whole way through. You cut in and out at points and sing at different levels, but still the mix goes nowhere dynamically. Easy on the compressors/limiters. Your range goes up a bit during the chorus but you can't even tell if you aren't listening to your voice. You should feel the mix rise, not just the vocals.

I'll try backing off the compressor. I aimed for a -3db reduction, not sure if that's the right approach to compressing rap vocals. Is there anything you suggest to help make the mix rise?

Sounds Good so far!! I would like to hear a lil more definition in the bass (phatter) ...the hooks could be dubbed a few more times....sent to a delay or ambient reverb a little...then panned in the mixer and pan the sends to verb/delay too... slight compression to bring it all together. keep the hooks from crowding the middle....

Last edited:
Sounds Good so far!! I would like to hear a lil more definition in the bass (phatter) ...the hooks could be dubbed a few more times....sent to a delay or ambient reverb a little...then panned in the mixer and pan the sends to verb/delay too... slight compression to bring it all together. keep the hooks from crowding the middle....

Thanks! I'll try that.

Finally got a chance to do some more mixing! I think this may be my last revision, since I would be mixing this song forever lol. Let me know what you guys think and thanks for the help! On to the next song...

Back