Getting kick drums this big

Ive just had a read about the second order of harmonics .... Wow . Complex subject that pall!!!?

2nd order harmonics are simply the octave of whatever sound you have - nothing complex or mind-blowing the reason we want to use the octave and the double octave (4th harmonic) is that these emphasise the underlying pitch without unduly colouring the audio result

on rms vs dbfs: if you have set your mix space up properly you should be able to identify at what point on your dbfs scale is hitting 83dbSPL

This point will be your nominal 0dbRMS, from which you can then do all of the other comparisons

the common industry standards are

• k-20 = -20dbfs=0dbRMS ~ used for orchestral and film scores
  • k-14 = -14dbfs=0dbRMS ~ used for games and broadcast
  • k-12 = -12dbfs=0dbRMS ~ used for "pop" music/CD audio

I think all of us producers agree that a video would help. An exact step by step guide as I have this same issue with my house tracks. It's not just a newbie topic.

really, yet another video showing some specific tweaks for a specific sound will help someone; I think not....

- the broad strokes are what are important here, not the detail.

To that end identifying broad freq ranges for the three parts of the sound are more important

Encouraging you to experiment is important as you then own the result

to the op who complained about the freq boosts not working: you need to also look at bandwidth/Q of your eq sections for some of the eq we need really tight/narrow bandwidth, for others we can do with a more broad bandwidth

a multi-band compressor may also help in controlling each part of the spectrum but use it sparingly and perhaps in parallel with the original

Last edited:
Back