Drake Vocal Effect

M

milestone

Hey guys, if anyone has heard drake's 'best i ever had' or 'stunt hard', on his hooks, he does the singing type thing, i've tried loads of different methods and i cant seem to work out how to get that same effect. You know, its kind of like a robotic sound. I thought it might be just double vocals or maybe a slight chorus / delay but i cant seem to get it right. Can anyone help me by suggesting a possible chain to get a similat effect?

Heres a link to 'best i ever had'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYdo3UGBaQk&feature=related

Yeh it is, im totally new to all this minxing and vocals stuff, i got a similar effect using autotune in graphical mode and doubling and stacking, Reverb, delay, compression and EQ :)

Well, i recorded the vocals, and set autotune to the usual t pain settings and played with the scale untill it sounded close to right, then i went into graphic mode and pressed 'track pitch' and played the vocals, then i used the 'get auto' or whatever the button is. After that, i just drew in new lines with the 'snap to note tool' closest to which notes the automatic retuning used. I find this sounds better, because it avoids the wobbly snapping effect that autotune sometimes has, i set the retune to about 10.

After that, it was just a case of adding a little compression, i used a 2.5:1 ratio. I used an EQ to take out the low end (hi-pass) and boost the hi-mids a little, i also added a small hi-shelf.

After this, i recorded the same vocals on a new track, and did the same compression and EQ'ing, but this time, i didnt apply autotune. I turned the volume down so it didnt drown out the main vocal and panned it 15% left. (I repeated this and panned this track right, but i found it sounded better with just one track panned left, using 2 just took the focus away from the lead)

After, i sent both tracks to the same Buss and applied another compression to it, the same 2.5:1 ratio. Then i used waves Rverb with the cathedral preset, at about 10% wetness. Then i just added a alight delay.

Hope this helps :)

cool, im still really new to it too, sitting around for hours playing with all the knobs and buttons helps :D

Back