Thread: Drake Vocal Effect

milestone Guest

Drake Vocal Effect

Sign in to disable this ad
    Hey guys, if anyone has heard drake's 'best i ever had' or 'stunt hard', on his hooks, he does the singing type thing, i've tried loads of different methods and i cant seem to work out how to get that same effect. You know, its kind of like a robotic sound. I thought it might be just double vocals or maybe a slight chorus / delay but i cant seem to get it right. Can anyone help me by suggesting a possible chain to get a similat effect?

Heres a link to 'best i ever had'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYdo3...eature=related

joannesherrell is offline Warrior Member
    Isn't it autotune?
    [URL="http://luvandmusic.wordpress.com"]Love&Music[/URL]: My personal music blog.

milestone Guest
    Yeh it is, im totally new to all this minxing and vocals stuff, i got a similar effect using autotune in graphical mode and doubling and stacking, Reverb, delay, compression and EQ

Bawws is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by milestone View Post
    Yeh it is, im totally new to all this minxing and vocals stuff, i got a similar effect using autotune in graphical mode and doubling and stacking, Reverb, delay, compression and EQ
    Can you share that via post or PM?

milestone Guest
    Well, i recorded the vocals, and set autotune to the usual t pain settings and played with the scale untill it sounded close to right, then i went into graphic mode and pressed 'track pitch' and played the vocals, then i used the 'get auto' or whatever the button is. After that, i just drew in new lines with the 'snap to note tool' closest to which notes the automatic retuning used. I find this sounds better, because it avoids the wobbly snapping effect that autotune sometimes has, i set the retune to about 10.

After that, it was just a case of adding a little compression, i used a 2.5:1 ratio. I used an EQ to take out the low end (hi-pass) and boost the hi-mids a little, i also added a small hi-shelf.

After this, i recorded the same vocals on a new track, and did the same compression and EQ'ing, but this time, i didnt apply autotune. I turned the volume down so it didnt drown out the main vocal and panned it 15% left. (I repeated this and panned this track right, but i found it sounded better with just one track panned left, using 2 just took the focus away from the lead)

After, i sent both tracks to the same Buss and applied another compression to it, the same 2.5:1 ratio. Then i used waves Rverb with the cathedral preset, at about 10% wetness. Then i just added a alight delay.

Hope this helps

JAH The One is offline Registered User
    ^ nice I learned alot from that.

milestone Guest
    cool, im still really new to it too, sitting around for hours playing with all the knobs and buttons helps

BlackKeyStudios is offline Registered User
    sounds good thnx

that dude drake gots mad skills.. cant wait to hear his album.. thanks for the tips again!

Synkronized is offline Registered User
    Does ANYBODY know about an autotune type plugin that can be used for free or limited free time?? thanks!

milestone Guest
    You could try G-Snap. Very similiar.

Thread Information