Dirty drum breaks with clean vst samples.(blening techniques?)

cntspitfiya

I've got some nice drum breaks I want to use from vinyl, but they have a much more dirty sound than my vst patches. I personally think it doesn't sound right and I want to try and dirty up my patches to match my drums.

Any suggestion? Ill try to post a simple example later.

Distortion, or get that Isotope vinyl type plug-in.

I'm sure a little filtering won't hurt either.

After listening to the snippet you posted, I've gotta say that the difference in the two sound qualities isn't really that big of an issue. If the mix of this instrumental gets finished, you'll still have a nice-sounding product at the end.

However, if it's still that much of an issue for you, here's an idea:

Whatever vinyl you got your breaks from, find an area in the track that has nothing going on, just the noise of the vinyl. The longer the segment of nothing, the better. It can prove difficult for the inexperienced to take a very short segment of nothing and edit it so that it lasts for an extended length of time; you'll be able to hear where the sample loops.

The idea is to loop a short sample of the "nothing" of the vinyl, and use it as a filter for your VST instruments, so that the VST sounds like it originated from the same source as the drums. It's time consuming, but detail is what must be stressed when one is working in sound production.

Peace

I agree with the most, a little bit of distortion will do the job also some filtering and always you can experiment with some weird-all in one-reasonless plug-ins!!Or even re-sample your synth through an old amplifier or after recording it on a cassette.Feel free to ask anything by pm.

when instruments(vst's) sound to clean, i like to drop it to my 4 track. imo it adds a more natural distortion than a digital plugin could offer. but in the end its how it sounds and if you get a sound you like from a digital plugin, use it.

Back