Default pluginss on Instruments

StanleySteamer

Hey guys, just a quick thing i wanted to run by a few of you. So lets say you're putting together a beat and you pull up a guitar or a piano or whatever and as soon as you click and open the sound it comes with a few plugins on it like EQs or Reverbs or whatever. My question is what do you guys like to do with these? Do you normally keep them and then still apply your own eq or reverb and stuff later when you mix and master it? Or do you take it off and only do that kind of stuff strictly yourself when your mixing and what not?

Come to think of it, what's the difference between all of those third party tools like izotope and waves/ fabulous filter have that daws don't already have?
Is there better code in it or something?

Depends on where in the chain I want it. If I want the reverb or delay etc to be before the processing on the channel, then I might as well leave it on if I like the sound of it (I might still pull up plugins for it and compare which ones gives the best sound).
And if I want those effects after the processing, I just turn them off and do it myself.
As for EQ's, they often have to do with the sounddesign more than mixing and so, so I tend to leave it on.

Hey guys, just a quick thing i wanted to run by a few of you. So lets say you're putting together a beat and you pull up a guitar or a piano or whatever and as soon as you click and open the sound it comes with a few plugins on it like EQs or Reverbs or whatever. My question is what do you guys like to do with these? Do you normally keep them and then still apply your own eq or reverb and stuff later when you mix and master it? Or do you take it off and only do that kind of stuff strictly yourself when your mixing and what not?

i am trying to get the best source sound as possible. being a sound taken from a mic or a VST.

If it still needs way too much post-processing then the effects inside the plugin might be wrong.

Generally, I try to be minimalistic with built in FX in VSTs. Like in MASSIVE I only use the "small reverb" if it makes the sound way better... Otherwise I like to process (typically) dry audio coming out of the VST.

I'll preface it by saying that I don't think it's a bad thing at all to leave the effects on. There's no problem with just tweaking them however you want them to be.

With that said, I turn these effects off almost all the time and apply effects outside of the VST. I like to modify the synth I'm working with completely free of all effects before I start adding anything on to it. It just so happens that I end up adding effects outside of the VST after everything is said and done. Multiple ways to skin a cat eh :)

Back