De Essing vocals

MusicManiac

Hello once again im here to post another question ,
This time i want to ask you about De essing vocals
So before i post searched a lot of topics about this , and i can see there are a lot of methods.

1) With a deesser problem is that when using this method alone the vocals lose their clarity so i rejected it as a method even when applied carefully .
if i use automation i still think it messes things up correct me if i am wrong

2) Manually reduce the db of the esses of every vocal track
so i thought the second way is giving the best results but then i thought all music engineers do this everytime spending time ?

i saw about something an eq and sidechain compression but i didnt realy get it .

Someone could help me out here?
Thanks in advance!!

Before using a D'esser make sure you need it in the first place, if its taking away too much from the vocals try turning the MIX knob down till its right. Hope I helped!

if you're losing clarity you may be setting the threshold for the de-esser too low. double check which frequencies your latching onto. usually you want to start somewhere in the 7k hz range for de-essing

The sidechained eq thing would essentially do the same as a de-esser I think, ie trigger the eq to cut whatever frequencies you choose at any given threshold triggered by the source.

Try SpitFish, as far as De-essers go it is pretty good if used sparingly and best of all it's free

Back