compression on a synth

charlie morgan

Okay so ive been producing for a few months now but I'm still finding compression hard.
Any tips or good tutorials to watch?

Well admitting that is a good start! You'd be surprised how many people who have been producing "for a few months" think they know compression inside out! This is a very in depth topic, and you're not going to find definitive answers on a thread...

A general tip would be that a compressor is a tool. Most of the time it is used to dynamically hold a sound in place, to control it - basically it reduces the difference between the loudest part of a sound and the quietest part of a sound.

First of all I would recommend learning how the tool works. There are many tutorials and online resources that will explain to you exactly what the standard features of a compressor are (threshold, ratio, attack, release, make up gain etc.) and what they do... Google it and learn.

Once you know what all the features are, then you will be better prepared to use the tool itself in specific applications (kick, snare, vocals, mix buss etc.) - and again there are many searchable online tutorials.

Also as a type of tool remember that there are many different types of compressor, and these different types are better suited to different jobs. To use a blunt analogy, think of it like a hammer. There are many different types of hammers, but using a sledge hammer to do some precision work isn't advised!

In the long run with experience you will realise that the key is actually to learn when compression is needed and when it isn't. Mixing is about balance and contrast, some things in a mix will require compression and others won't. That's a lot harder to learn, and you won't learn it in a few months unfortunately ;)

Good luck.

Well admitting that is a good start! You'd be surprised how many people who have been producing "for a few months" think they know compression inside out! This is a very in depth topic, and you're not going to find definitive answers on a thread...

A general tip would be that a compressor is a tool. Most of the time it is used to dynamically hold a sound in place, to control it - basically it reduces the difference between the loudest part of a sound and the quietest part of a sound.

First of all I would recommend learning how the tool works. There are many tutorials and online resources that will explain to you exactly what the standard features of a compressor are (threshold, ratio, attack, release, make up gain etc.) and what they do... Google it and learn.

Once you know what all the features are, then you will be better prepared to use the tool itself in specific applications (kick, snare, vocals, mix buss etc.) - and again there are many searchable online tutorials.

Also as a type of tool remember that there are many different types of compressor, and these different types are better suited to different jobs. To use a blunt analogy, think of it like a hammer. There are many different types of hammers, but using a sledge hammer to do some precision work isn't advised!

In the long run with experience you will realise that the key is actually to learn when compression is needed and when it isn't. Mixing is about balance and contrast, some things in a mix will require compression and others won't. That's a lot harder to learn, and you won't learn it in a few months unfortunately ;)

Good luck.
Thank you.
I'm getting the hang of it now haha :)

To me it's just do you like the sound of compression or not.

You can balance something yourself through recording or automation (except really really really small intervals perhaps) but I just happen to not like a rap vocal without some compression. I like the character that comes with compression.

Honestly my tip would just be to play around with it. The only tip I have is to make sure there's no volume change when you bypass it so you don't trick yourself into thinking it sounds better instead of louder. Play around. Some producers have done absurd things I wouldn't have done unless I focused on the emotional impact of it. I can't remember which plugin it was but I was watching part 2 of the interview with Alex da Kidd at pensados place and I think he said he puts his drums through like an l2 ultramaximizer and squashes the bajeezus out of them. Dave was like excuse me?

That just makes sense for his sound though, because in tracks like Our House, I need a doctor, and I'm sure a few of Skylar Greys tracks as well, he has incredibly distorted drums. Wouldn't be surprised if these were tracks he used the l2 on.

So, to me, balance from recording/automation (and maybe even multiband compression), character from compression.

Back