Choosing monitoring headphones

i wont be using them for monitoring now after reading a bit more but i need something else for reference apart from my monitors as i know my room isnt a perfect place to produce

I think im just guna go for dt770's or mh50x as ive spent way too long on this topic

Will a little fiio amp be fine for what i need it for, a boost in quality and not volume...

Something like the E10 maybe? It says suitable for upto 150ohm but if i went for dt770's i was planning on the 250ohm. Surely the amp would drive them enough for easy listening volume? I rarely listen to music loud

NEW FiiO E10K/Olympus 2 amplifier and DAC+ FREE L9 CABLE -now in stock | eBay

i wont be using them for monitoring now after reading a bit more but i need something else for reference apart from my monitors as i know my room isnt a perfect place to produce

I think im just guna go for dt770's or mh50x as ive spent way too long on this topic

Will a little fiio amp be fine for what i need it for, a boost in quality and not volume...

Something like the E10 maybe? It says suitable for upto 150ohm but if i went for dt770's i was planning on the 250ohm. Surely the amp would drive them enough for easy listening volume? I rarely listen to music loud

NEW FiiO E10K/Olympus 2 amplifier and DAC+ FREE L9 CABLE -now in stock | eBay

I got the M50x with the Fiio E6 amp. I wjll say it makes things louder and it has eq presets. More bassy, less bassy, flat. I dont think its made to improve your quality, more so your listening experience. You wont really need the amp if you have a audio interface anyway, but the amp does help for things like phones and loudness for example. This is the link I purchased from, and it was pretty recent. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JZRXWRW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I got the M50x with the Fiio E6 amp. I wjll say it makes things louder and it has eq presets. More bassy, less bassy, flat. I dont think its made to improve your quality, more so your listening experience. You wont really need the amp if you have a audio interface anyway, but the amp does help for things like phones and loudness for example. This is the link I purchased from, and it was pretty recent. Amazon.com: Audio-Technica ATH-M50X Professional Monitor Headphones - Black (New 2014 Model) with FiiO E6 Headphone Amplifier: Musical Instruments

This particular headphone amp has been really popular lately in the groups I'm involved in:

Schiit Magni Headphone Amplifier (Amazon.com)

It gets bonus points for looking nice, too.
US-made and a competitive price to boot.

-Ki
Salem Beats

that magni looks nice

Because ive never plugged a set of 250 ohm headphones into my computer i dont know what to expect, i might not need a amp for the level of volume i need but from reading a lot it seems that i will need a amp to get the best out of them

that magni looks nice

Because ive never plugged a set of 250 ohm headphones into my computer i dont know what to expect, i might not need a amp for the level of volume i need but from reading a lot it seems that i will need a amp to get the best out of them

If you're just plugging them directly into your computer with no audio interface, you'll probably want an amp.

As far as Impedance goes, some rules of thumb, according to me:

<~32 Ohm = "Low" Impedance (commonly found on consumer earbuds)
~64 Ohm = "Medium" Impedance (often found on many ~$100 headphones which use a 1/4"-1/8" adapter, intended as a pro/consumer hybrid)
>~100 Ohm = "High" Impedence (probably going to need an amp here if you're hooking it into any "consumer-grade" audio output)

-Ki
Salem Beats

Last edited:
^^good way of putting it

Think il go with the 250 ohms and if i need a amp later on then il get one, im sure il hear something coming out of them for now!

As for dt770's VS M50's i dont think ive seen anyone say they went for M50's if they listened to the dt770's aswel and thats what im looking for, people who have heard them both.

A good example of this is the comment section of this video, plus people are saying the dt770's are more comfortable which im not surprised

Last edited:
^^good way of putting it

Think il go with the 250 ohms and if i need a amp later on then il get one, im sure il hear something coming out of them for now!

As for dt770's VS M50's i dont think ive seen anyone say they went for M50's if they listened to the dt770's aswel and thats what im looking for, people who have heard them both.

A good example of this is the comment section of this video, plus people are saying the dt770's are more comfortable which im not surprised

I seen the same video when I was looking at reviews trying to compare. Im not really sure how the video changes how you perceive the sound from the actual headphones/monitors. I say that because it also depends what headphones/monitors your listening from. If your listening to some sweetened headphones or hyped monitors its kind of pointless. I will get the DT770's in the future and use them like another pair of ears.

Ill be honest the M50x you need to stretch the band just a little. I have a small head and usually I don't need the extra adjustment various headphones just fit that I have or had. They don't hurt but I was able to feel slight pressure on one side. Ears fit into the cups fine though.

I use the Sony 7509's they are not great for low-end, but you need subs to mix bass anyway.
Amazing stereo imaging & instrument separation from these phones!

Im not really sure how the video changes how you perceive the sound from the actual headphones/monitors

I was interested in the comments and the dt770's seem the better choice from the people who have listened to them both

NEVER...

EVER...

... use these kinds of videos to compare headphone tonality.

Why?

#1 - You're not going to take your listening equipment out of the equation.
A EQ curve that's similar to the tonality of your listening equipment will exaggerate any dips/peaks and will sound "weird".
Similarly, an EQ curve that's the inverse of yours might appear to "fix" any flaws and may sound "better".
This is all in spite of what's actually "flat".

#2 - Your comparison will suffer from the "precedence effect".
The first colored EQ you hear will be established as "normal" in your head, and all others will be compared as "deviations" of this "normal".
For example:
If you put an excessively "bright" headphone as the first set in the comparison and then follow it up by a flat headphone,
the second headphone will be perceived as "dull" (rather than "flat").

-Ki
Salem Beats
http://www.salem-beats.com/

Last edited:
like i said i was just interested in the comments, the video didn't matter as i know you wont get a accurate sound results

I say save up an extra $60 and get these:

AKG K 702 Headphones (Amazon.com)

They're one of the flattest sets of headphones out there - a bit flatter and smoother on average than what you're looking at right now:

[/QUOTE

have any of you purchased these and know if its legit, seems a bit too good to be true with 300 bucks off

I have, and it is legitimate!

The price has gone up about 30 bucks since I posted it, though.

-Ki
Salem Beats

Last edited:
Back