Can I credit myself as a mixing engineer?

M

Mixing93

If I tell the mixing engineer how I want a track to sound/things that I want done on the track, but not all the specifics like exactly what frequency to EQ and all that, can I credit myself as a mixing engineer on the track? Thank you for your time and help.

Well, are you a professional mixing engineer?

Artists often sit down with the engineers so they easier get the results they want, yet they are never mentioned as any engineers.

Last edited:
Well, are you a professional mixing engineer?

Artists often sit down with the engineers so they easier get the results they want, yet they are never mentioned as any engineers.

I went to school for it and they are my ideas for the mix that will be done. Shouldn't I get some sort of credit since they are my ideas?

Last edited by a moderator:
No. If you don't know how to create the finished sound, but merely give your input to someone who can make manifest your auditory vision, you are not mixing.

Picture is like this: let's say you're making a beat and someone in the room makes a few recommendations for Efx or samples/sounds to use, are they the beatmaker?

If you aren't doing the work, you can't have the title. It's misrepresentation.

Let's say that you complete a project doing what you mentioned in your original post. Let's say you take credit for the mix. Let's say that another business entity was so impressed that they hire YOU to mix for them. What would you do then?

Peace.

Last edited:
I've known producers and engineers to be credited many times when they probably haven't done much.

For example, I won't name any names, but I know that one producer produced the beat and did the "pre-mixing", sent it to the engineer who then finished it off with the executive producer of the album. All 3 shared the mixing credits.

However, that doesn't mean it's right. Like others have suggested, you've just given the engineer your ideas to help shape the sound you want. That's pretty standard. Most artists tell the engineer throughout the mixing process "the bass needs to be more prominent", etc.

Last edited:
No for all the reasons already said. But Id say that is part of the producers role, so depending on what else your involvement is you might be entitled to a coproduction credit.

Yep, that's what the producer does (or some of it) - creative input on the mix. You don't claim to be a timber if you tell one what kind of table you'd like him to make, y'know :)

If I tell the mixing engineer how I want a track to sound/things that I want done on the track, but not all the specifics like exactly what frequency to EQ and all that, can I credit myself as a mixing engineer on the track? Thank you for your time and help.

If you know what you want done do it yourself, there is clearly a reason you are getting a third party to do it, so you do not deserve the credit.

I think krushing means carpenter (timber worker), but yeah

you are providing an artistic vision of the track so you are a producer or co-producer - if you put the money up then you are an executive producer as the industry now refers to money men/women

I think krushing means carpenter (timber worker), but yeah

you are providing an artistic vision of the track so you are a producer or co-producer - if you put the money up then you are an executive producer as the industry now refers to money men/women

Ha, yep. Carpernter.

Being a sound engineer basicly means that you can and know all the aspects to get your result in the rec, mix or master.

What you describe is a production phase in the mix, that's usually what the producer tell the mix engineer of how he would like things to sound in the mix according to the clients specification.

(True info from the industry)

I believe that what you want is to claim someone else's work of art. lol But no I do not think you should consider yourself the engineer of the song if you did not put any technical knowledge into it

The good thing about audio engineering and music production is that you don't need a degree to prove it.

Your sound & your productions and your finished products, are your best degree. :)

I've got a degree but still I don't think I need to use it at all anywhere.

There's nothing better than your own sound to prove that you know what you're doing

Last edited:
Back