Best way to convert to mp3 after mastering?

Noizemaker

Hey guys,

Just got a few mastered tracks back (as wavs) and I was wondering what the best way to convert them to mp3 is that isn't using a shitty website or freeware converter. Can I just stick it in FL Studio and render it as an mp3, or Audacity maybe? I don't want to screw with the volume or anything.

Thanks!

Any DAW can convert your Wavs to MP3, you don't need any website. Just convert the wavs to 160 kbit or 320kbit..Rick

Use audacity - it has many more features than you can guess at hidden beneath its child-like interface - it is very much a high end professional tool with lots of features that you do not necessarily access directly in your current daw

Please don't. You're going to lose so much of your song. .wav sound amazing, lossless waveforms should remain lossless. Who gives a shit that apple ruined music quality. It's time we take it back!

actually Apple is not responsible for mp3s, Sony is

and I agree if you must reduce your file size use ogg/vorbis or flac - sound quality is much better, though wav or aiff (any of the linear pcm encoded formats in fact) will be better to listen to in general

Download Reaper from reaper.fm and install it (it's around 10mb installation may take 10 seconds)
Drag and drap the lamemp3 dll to your reaper folder (reaper will redirect you to the link when you ll try to export mp3)

Done :)

I use iTunes to convert it to an mp3 so I can upload it to websites considering I use a mac itunes is usually always running anyway.

In order to do this however you need you go into the preferences and in the general tab hit the import settings button and change it to the mp3 encoder. Then you can right click the song and "convert to mp3"

I actually use ffmpeg with LAME. Command line shit. I'm also a software engineer by trade.

MP3s are really fine for distributing your music, but you want to keep a lossless copy just to make other compressed copies from. Anywhere you upload it, it's going to be compressed anyway, so I'd rather upload an MP3 to soundcloud. A high bitrate MP3 is scientifically indistinguishable by the human ear from a lossless copy. I forget what that bitrate is, but it's there. Again, just don't get caught without a lossless copy somewhere. Treat that like an original master from the analog days.

Back