Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best Talk Box Plug in

Darksayr is offline Registered User

Best Talk Box Plug in

Sign in to disable this ad
    What is tha best emulator plug in or VST that can best mimic tha Talk Box, i.e. Roger and Zapp. I tried like Orange Vocoder and others, they just dont sound like tha real thing. Is there one out that is really good?
    www.hoodfamous.com

R2B
    R2B is offline Registered User
    I haven't heard of any dedicated plugin yet. You're better off going with the real ting, trust me. The 150$ will save you time and frustration tinkering with auto-tune, vocoder, filters... when you think you got sort of close and then listen to the original you'll feel like you want to reformat your HD.

ez
    B#
    ** people will forget what you sound like but they'll never forget what you made them feel **

Delphine is offline Universal Soldier
    Native Instruments VOCATOR is a phenomenal piece of software. You can sound like anything through that.

Cruel Hoax is offline Insane FP Patriot
    A vocoder and a talk box are pretty different in the way they work.

A vocoder analyzes a signal, and applies the frequency spectrum of that signal to a second signal (this is the quick 'n dirty version).

A talk box is a speaker in an airtight box attached to a tube which you stick in your mouth and then move your lips and tongue to shape the sound.

In general, the talk box sounds throatier, more compressed and midrangey, and more organic.

In general, the vocoder can cover a wide frequency spectrum, and can sound airy or robotic.

I wouldn't use a vocoder to do a talk box's job, and vice versa. More talk-boxy plugins are, say, Audio Ease's Roger, or anything designed to do formant filtering.

One thing I used to do is get a super-cheap pair of headphones from the $1 store, cover the left earpiece in Saran wrap, plug it into my keyboard's headphone output, crank up the level, and stick it in my mouth. Like any talk bos, you need to record this with a microphone, but the results are very cool. You need to be careful of your breath, because this isn't as loud as a standard talkbox, but it works. Try hitting a distortion pedal before your mouth, too.

-Hoax
    The wise man knows that he knows nothing.

Darksayr is offline Registered User
    All I can say is "WoW!" Thanks man.

What are some good Talk Boxes? Cheap too.
    www.hoodfamous.com

R2B
    I've heard good things about the Danelectro. Costs 100 US$ or so.

http://www.music123.com/Danelectro-F...l-i86897.music

The Heil talk box is the one Roger Troutman used. It's a bit trickier to hook up though and you still need an extra mic.

BTW the Vokator doesn't cut it at all, neither do formant filters et al. They all sound very digital and more like Daft Punk sort of vox fx.

ez
    B#
    ** people will forget what you sound like but they'll never forget what you made them feel **

Originally posted by R2B
    I've heard good things about the Danelectro. Costs 100 US$ or so.

http://www.music123.com/Danelectro-F...l-i86897.music

The Heil talk box is the one Roger Troutman used. It's a bit trickier to hook up though and you still need an extra mic.

BTW the Vokator doesn't cut it at all, neither do formant filters et al. They all sound very digital and more like Daft Punk sort of vox fx.

ez
    B#
    You gotta be kidding? Those guitar pedals are utter ****e and I dont see how anyone could peddle such rubbish. As for the Vocator, either you dont know how to use it properly or you are talking about a different product entirely. Ive heard some superb stuff done with that.

R2B
    Originally posted by Delphine

You gotta be kidding? Those guitar pedals are utter ****e and I dont see how anyone could peddle such rubbish. As for the Vocator, either you dont know how to use it properly or you are talking about a different product entirely. Ive heard some superb stuff done with that.
    You have apparently never listened to Roger Troutman, let alone ever tried to get that exact feel and sound...

I've been to a Zapp gig in the 80s and saw the Heil talk box on stage next to his synth.

peace out

ps. it might have been the Electro Harmonix but it was a silver guitar kick box. Go figure.
    Last edited by R2B; 08-07-2004 at 02:02 AM.

Originally posted by R2B

You have apparently never listened to Roger Troutman, let alone ever tried to get that exact feel and sound...
    I havent listened to Roger Trout no,...
    And I certainly have no intentions of sounding like him either,( or anyone else for that matter )

I guess I wont be listening to him in the future either if he sounds like cheap Dane-electro pedals. Why would I want to hear a sound that I think sucks?

Just my opinion though, so don't get all upset over it.

R2B
    Originally posted by Delphine

I havent listened to Roger Trout no,...
    And I certainly have no intentions of sounding like him either,( or anyone else for that matter )

I guess I wont be listening to him in the future either if he sounds like cheap Dane-electro pedals. Why would I want to hear a sound that I think sucks?

Just my opinion though, so don't get all upset over it.
    I wasn't the one getting upset... Darksayr was asking a simple question that has a simple answer to it. It's really as simple as that.
    ez&out

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information