Best method to master a song on FL Studio?

RyanTrapstar

My method is that i export my flp to a wav. file then i open up a new fl project, turn on maximus and cut off the highs of the songs. Is there more to mastering? a better way to master?

the best way to master a song is by bringing all the faders in the mixer all the way down. Then, EQ the sounds one by one and use the soundgoudizer with sharp sounds like leads and pianos. That's how I do it, which end up being a pretty decent mix.

Listen to the track, and do what's necessary.
If you're not sure what needs to be done, try out the usual processing (commonly EQ, compression, M/S-processing, saturation, stereo-imaging, etc) and see if a plugin was necessary or just pointless.

While mastering, keep a decent and moderate listening level, and do a lot of A/B'ing to other soundsystems (mastering is a lot about preparing the song to sound good on the various soundsystems it's expected to be played on).

If you'll use 16-bit on the final song, don't forget to add the dither.

Then there's even more if you're mastering a work consisting of several songs (such as balancing the volume of the songs to eachother, and setting the right silence time between them), and again even more if it's a professional release through a label.

it takes practise, lots and lots and lots of practise I use the same method but I find each time u go back to Maximus you hear something different. best way is like steffeeh said above try it in your car or your iPod or stereo and see what needs changing it always sounds different in your headphones or monitors to what it will in your car stereo. I find asking a friend is good too (provided they just don't tell you its perfect everytime) a different set of ears always helps

Definitely play the track on different systems as was stated before me. Also, in this stage, I typically export my track to a WAV if my CPU is getting too overworked while it's playing. If the underruns start popping up, I'll do that, but if it's playing fine, I'll try to master it within the original FLP itself.

I also recommend downloading a Spectrum Analyzer so you can see your track visually as well. It tends to help spot trouble frequencies that you may not be detecting simply through your ears.

why do you take out the hi ?

a better question is why are you assuming all you have to do is take out the highs?

Concerning EQing, you should be cutting or boosting whatever bands of the spectrum you need to in order to match your song to your reference song. It'll be different every time.

Mastering is really only for when you have a group of songs (an Album, EP or Mixtape) or if you are releasing a single. Some of the things mentioned here are actually techniques used for mixing. Usually, you will want to isolate your instruments into their correct range. For example, kicks and bass don't need any highs, or hi-hats don't need any lows. Basically, you are making space so that instruments will all standout and sound clear as possible. When you master you are trying to get all of the songs for a project to be at the same volume levels.

Mastering is really only for when you have a group of songs (an Album, EP or Mixtape) or if you are releasing a single. Some of the things mentioned here are actually techniques used for mixing. Usually, you will want to isolate your instruments into their correct range. For example, kicks and bass don't need any highs, or hi-hats don't need any lows. Basically, you are making space so that instruments will all standout and sound clear as possible. When you master you are trying to get all of the songs for a project to be at the same volume levels.

Exactly, if youre mastering a single that isn't part of a group just find a song of a similar genre that you want to match yours to.

So many threads about how to master on here yet no one even mentions reference tracks, its crazy. The whole point of mastering is to bring it to a commercial standard.. So use a commercial reference!

Back