Audio interface or MIDI keyboard + preamp, and electric guitar preamp?

M

music234m

Hi
sorry
(1)
I'd like a cheap but decent way to hook an electric guitar without an amp to a PC. I read people suggesting a Line 6 POD thing for like $80. I think it should cost less than that and still be decent. I'm fine with it having to plug into the wall for power and then hopefully goes into the PC with USB so I don't have to maybe also get a card with 1/4" jacks unless just getting a 99cent 1/8" to 1/4" jack doesn't degrade quality.
I imagine a decent preamp that plugs into the wall can be had for like $15. They make this for acoustics that connects to a pickup for like $7 and it even has a little equalizer: [ebay link in case link doesn't work] :

(2)
I also want an internal/external audio interface/sound card for getting decent recordings from hardware synthesizers. Doesn't have to be great so not trying to spend much on that.

(3)
I also want a 49+ key MIDI controller with tons of programmable knobs and sliders like the Alesis QX49 for about $90 which I'm pretty sure doesn't have an audio interface or preamp though.

Maybe I can get everything in one MIDI controller but it might cost less to get a seperate preamp and audio card and my choices won't be limited to only the MIDI controllers that can do all this. I have eBay and consider used items.
Thanks.

you seem to live in a different age - your estimates of costs are way off the mark

I'll come back later when I can answer your questions without laughing

How are my cost estimates way off? A novation x station analog modeling synth has an integrated audio interface and can be had for like $200 used, sometimes $150ish, and most people might not know it has a decent audio interface. What I mean is the value of the audio card is only like a eighth of the x station.

There's gotta be some off brand knockoff of the line 6 preamp stuff that's as good if not better.

The ebay link didn't work maybe because I'm a new member, but it's really is $7 and change for a battery powered acoustic preamp. If it plugs into the wall, I assume it's cheaper than just usb-powered.

The price for the Alesis MIDI keyboard is what they sell new on ebay.

i'm just overwhelmed trying to search out for these things and don't want to blow a bunch of money on sounds cards and stuff whatever musicians friend etc is currently trying to sell me. I wish there were a database that had everything ever made in sub category after sub category with specs and retail and used prices but there's not. just hoping for a suggestion.

You can never assume that the unit cost of part of a keyboard when packaged on its own will be some fixed percentage of the whole price
- it will need a case which will cost differently to what the full case costs,
- it will need power circuits and conditioning which will cost differently to the integrated whole

Yeah you can get some cheap a$$ gear but you may very well end up regretting it
- don't be conned by the cheap prices on eBay
- by the time you understand why it was never a good buy it will be too late.

besides which getting the line 6 pod is probably cheaper than the Behringer equivalent which has a retail price of AU$250
- I have seen it as low as $175 on eBay
- this is a similar price range to the Line 6 product

If you are serious about doing this right then expect to spend some money

more later

Someone suggested the Focusrite Scarlett which I've seen sell used for like $80 shipped on ebay or can get new for like $100.

It says it has Up to 24-bit/96kHz AD/DA for pristine sound quality, so I assume it can be used to get quality recordings from my hardware synths and also use it's preamp for an electric guitar/mic while also getting 24-bit from those. So I apparently don't need a separate preamp and sound card. I'll compare that to the Line 6 POD preamps with recording interfaces like the UX1 and make a choice unless someone suggest something else in the price range.

So I guess I'll get that and then a MIDI controller keyboard I like that has lots of knobs and slider or just use a hardware synth like my JP-8000 to control softsynths but I might be going all software with just a light USB-powered MIDI keyboard.

The 2i2 is probably what you're looking for. Your cost estimations are off because a decent audio interface like the 2i2 is 150 new. I'm sure you can find it used for the price you say but not 15 bucks. I have a basic Casio keyboard with a midi out so I just run the keyboard through a midi to USB converter and use that to control all my midi for my tracks. The 2i2 also has decent pre amps for you guitar or vocals.

You can get a soundchip that technically does 24bit/96KHz for about five bucks. Unfortunately the specs don't really say anything about how well it does it...

Someone suggested the Focusrite Scarlett which I've seen sell used for like $80 shipped on ebay or can get new for like $100.

It says it has Up to 24-bit/96kHz AD/DA for pristine sound quality, so I assume it can be used to get quality recordings from my hardware synths and also use it's preamp for an electric guitar/mic while also getting 24-bit from those. So I apparently don't need a separate preamp and sound card. I'll compare that to the Line 6 POD preamps with recording interfaces like the UX1 and make a choice unless someone suggest something else in the price range.

So I guess I'll get that and then a MIDI controller keyboard I like that has lots of knobs and slider or just use a hardware synth like my JP-8000 to control softsynths but I might be going all software with just a light USB-powered MIDI keyboard.

My brother uses 2i2 for recording guitar and bass and it is pretty much good. Also you can connect guitar via 2i2 to Guitar Rig and it sounds awesome.

Back