Audio interface and headphones question

itsatrap

Dear Forum members :)

I have been searching a lot on the internet to find an answer on my question but it is still vague. Well let me be as specific as possible :D.

Right now, I am producing music for almost two years without any monitors and an audio interface. I did buy some decent headphones which I could afford (Sennheiser HD280 Pro). Right now I have saved up some money to purchase a Focusrite Starlett 2i2. My question regarding this matter is: "Will this upgrade have any effect on producing music while using my headphone?" .

Studio monitors are really a must, but that dream is a bit too far for me right now. It looks like a stupid question, I know but I hope to hear some advice from you guys :).

I do not have experience with that specific interface, but I can say for certain that listening to headphones through an audio interface should sound significantly better than plugging straight into your laptop or computer. When I listen to headphones through my Apogee Duet instead of plugging straight into laptop, the difference in sound quality is staggering.

If the interface provides the necessary output power to your headphones while your computer doesn't, you should notice quite the difference in sound. Things should start to sound like it's playing back the audio more effortlessly and you will probably get a lot more volume out of the interface as well. Which makes a decent difference when you're working at low volume in your DAW.

Whether or not it's going to make a big difference for you is hard to say. I remember when I was in your seat and I upgraded my stuff. The difference wasn't really worth mentioning, but St least with the interface you get access to proper ASIO drivers and future connectivity to monitors and what not. You'll want to get an interface sooner or later anyway for these reasons.

Your headphones are 64 ohms so I'd wager they benefit quite a lot from an interface to drive them, even more so from something with more power in the headphone output than the 2i2. But then again I'm not really an expert on these things.

Last edited:
I bought the audio interface today! (Focusrite 2i2). I must say that I made a great investment thanks to your feedback :).
Right now, I am very happy with the purchase! I can hear more details and the sound can be louder as well of course but the major advantage is that I can now use studio monitors while producing. Not only that, I can also make professionally use of a microphone, guitars, piano's with midi and record players (vinyl) in order to sample certain sounds or the whole record itself!

I knew from the beginning that I could do all these things after purchasing an audio interface, but still. I am very happy with the choice!

Thank you very much again everyone!

EDIT: I Forgot to mention the latency haha, thanks to an audio interface I can easily play notes without any problems!

Last edited:
I have a 2i2 Aswell and they are great there easy to move about an quite sturdy with the metal casing makes putting a few guitar chords or notes easy and quick

Back