ASK US ANYTHING! Mixing,Mastering,Production !!!

Must be getting bored of sending this ish haa, but i'd like a copy if possible!

All good ..got u

---------- Post added 01-05-2013 at 02:12 PM ---------- Previous post was 09-19-2012 at 03:04 AM ----------

WE are back! ... WE are back after being gone for the holidays! Still answering your questions. AND .... THIS JUST IN! WE will be answering some of your questions (possibly featuring some work) on our podcast. Post any questions here you would like read on the air!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
check your inbox mate

---------- Post added at 10:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:31 PM ----------

tell me the secret of soundcloud comments please! :O

inbox mate

---------- Post added at 10:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:34 PM ----------

Hello Everyone. Glad to help yall out with the SC comments! Don't forget to ask any questions you may have about Mixing, Mastering , Production Techniques Etc.

I won't mind a copy if you have the time
thanks in advance
-Coach Antonio

Last edited:
I have read and watched a few tutorials showing how to export songs from FL to multi-track waves (32 bit floating) in order to properly mix and master...... this is where I get confused.:hmmm: I have a few finished songs that I have mixed down (not mastered) in fl studio with adjusted volume levels for each individual mixer track but should have I exported the song to 32 bit float multi-track wave first and then mix down? Some of tutorials I have watched showed all the mixer tracks at full volume (0db) before being rendered to 32 bit floating multi-track wave.... Do I render out to wav and mix volume levels this way? In short, are you supposed to mix with individual individual rendered waves?

I have read and watched a few tutorials showing how to export songs from FL to multi-track waves (32 bit floating) in order to properly mix and master...... this is where I get confused.:hmmm: I have a few finished songs that I have mixed down (not mastered) in fl studio with adjusted volume levels for each individual mixer track but should have I exported the song to 32 bit float multi-track wave first and then mix down? Some of tutorials I have watched showed all the mixer tracks at full volume (0db) before being rendered to 32 bit floating multi-track wave.... Do I render out to wav and mix volume levels this way? In short, are you supposed to mix with individual individual rendered waves?

First things first. When tracking out a beat you can leave the export on 16 Bit because each (mixer) track is only gonna have maybe 3 plugins routed to it most and that isn't a ton of information so 16 bits will handle it just fine.

Second: You should always pull all your faders on the mixer down about -3 DB to allow for headroom.

Third: Yes you are supposed to mix with individually rendered tracks. But it depends where your mixing will take place, If you send it out to a professional (for Mixing) then you need individual tracks. But if you are just going to re-import the rendered tracks back into FL Studio and mix it yourself it isn't really necessary except maybe to save on CPU.

Long story short (1.) Pull all the faders down -3DB (2.) Group you Vst's as cleanly as possible ie. Leads in one group. Hats,cymbals,percussion another. The kick should have its own channel. Bass on another. Keys/Strings on another. Then select SPLIT MIXER TRACKS in the render window. (make sure all of your channels are assigned to a mixer track or it won't render)

I have a few ...

1. Can you please rate/critique my mixdown ...

2. I am making Hip-hop / R&B beats similar to the track above ... When I am sending them off to vocalists, how much headroom should I leave ? Do I send the mastered beat peaking at 0db or a mixed version with say -6db headroom ... ?

3. Can you also assist me in increasing traffic to my soundcloud pease ... ?

Thank you

1.) The percussion is all good. For the sample (chops) you should try busing it to a second channel and putting a Stereo Widener/ a harmonic exciter (anything that emulates a tube amp and has a drive knob) on the bused channel. Then roll off a little low end. Try sliding the volume to around -12db. This should add a sense of space to the mix.

2.) That's a tricky one. You prob want to send a Limited version for them to write 2 and a much quieter version -6db for recording, so they don't record to hot.

3>) Your PM

I have a few ...

1. Can you please rate/critique my mixdown ...

2. I am making Hip-hop / R&B beats similar to the track above ... When I am sending them off to vocalists, how much headroom should I leave ? Do I send the mastered beat peaking at 0db or a mixed version with say -6db headroom ... ?

3. Can you also assist me in increasing traffic to my soundcloud pease ... ?

Thank you

---------- Post added at 01:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:04 AM ----------

How do you make your music hit hard.
maxamillionbeats dot com

.......Hard Hits

Last edited by a moderator:
Im in love with young chops bassline. His 808 and kick how can achieve that sound. Is it 2 kicks 2 808s? I studied a few beats and i his kicks never clip. I would imagine even in the mix they dont. When i load the track it starts off at 75% and the kick peaks @ -6 so if i cut the volume to 100 its at the top. WTF IS HE DOING TO MAKING IT BOUNCE LIKE THAT LLS

I have a very newbie question. I've tried to find and answer all over the place. I know what mastering is and how important it is. I know how to seperate sounds through EQ etc. But one thing I don't understand AT ALL is the limiter and the compressor.

Why does everyone lower the db-levels to -6 so the track becomes lower and then gain it?
And how do you handle the Limiter? I want my tracks to be loud, not too loud, but professionally loud in low volumes and I guess it's here the Limiter and compressor comes in. But can anyone explain or link a video. Should I just lower my track in masterchannel and gain it or should I do something else before?

great post. that atlas song is a winner. had to place in in my shopping cart. the melody really works for me.

1. did you become successful because you made better music or because you learned the business? i never say i am better than anyone but i believe by knowing the business it gives you a leg up on the competition as well as a willingness to become successful.
2. i don't dj but i make great tunes. i'm even getting club spins by releasing music i make to a recordpool that charts my sounds. but how else can i get played at clubs?
3. are soundcloud plays and comments necessary? if so, why?
4. how does brm electro select music to be released? because i am bent on producing for someone just so i can release my own sounds on my own imprint one day officially. here are my tunes. be brutal. (prog and electro house) Arthur D - House Music by Arthur_D on SoundCloud - Hear the world

---------- Post added at 01:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:59 AM ----------

I have a very newbie question. I've tried to find and answer all over the place. I know what mastering is and how important it is. I know how to seperate sounds through EQ etc. But one thing I don't understand AT ALL is the limiter and the compressor.

Why does everyone lower the db-levels to -6 so the track becomes lower and then gain it?
And how do you handle the Limiter? I want my tracks to be loud, not too loud, but professionally loud in low volumes and I guess it's here the Limiter and compressor comes in. But can anyone explain or link a video. Should I just lower my track in masterchannel and gain it or should I do something else before?

in a nutshell you limit and compress sounds so that every part in it sounds equally loud at all levels. lets say you have a singer and some of the words are too low or too loud. slap a limiter that compresses everything down to a level where everything is "perceived" equally loud. i probably chop off about -15db depending on what i'm working with. after that i raise the gain on it to a desireable loudness level. luckily for me my limiter has a spectral monitor that lets me see what is happeneing to the wav file as i edit it. mastering is another form of limiting and compressing that gives music that sheen and polished, professional sound. sorry but no video.

Last edited:
Im in love with young chops bassline. His 808 and kick how can achieve that sound. Is it 2 kicks 2 808s? I studied a few beats and i his kicks never clip. I would imagine even in the mix they dont. When i load the track it starts off at 75% and the kick peaks @ -6 so if i cut the volume to 100 its at the top. WTF IS HE DOING TO MAKING IT BOUNCE LIKE THAT LLS

I wouldn't over think it. He says he takes 20 min to make a beat, so just good sample selection. Prob not 2 kicks but maybe one layered for the pop over a longer release one for the sub bass. And I'm 99% his commercial releases are mixed/mastered by professional engineers on outboard analog equipment. Just program your sounds as well as possible and if gets picked up it'll get there.

---------- Post added at 03:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:43 PM ----------

You wan't -6db of head room so the Limiter has room to add volume back. To explain Compression real quick. Think of a bucket of water, half full with water splashing over the top (No Compressed Signal) VS. A Bucket that's almost full, perfectly calm and even. Removing the splashing aspect (compressing) allows you to raise to overall level without any water splashing over the edge. More Water = More Volume = More Energy = Louder overall but with less peaks.

---------- Post added at 03:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:03 PM ----------

great post. that atlas song is a winner. had to place in in my shopping cart. the melody really works for me.

1. did you become successful because you made better music or because you learned the business? i never say i am better than anyone but i believe by knowing the business it gives you a leg up on the competition as well as a willingness to become successful.
2. i don't dj but i make great tunes. i'm even getting club spins by releasing music i make to a recordpool that charts my sounds. but how else can i get played at clubs?
3. are soundcloud plays and comments necessary? if so, why?
4. how does brm electro select music to be released? because i am bent on producing for someone just so i can release my own sounds on my own imprint one day officially. here are my tunes. be brutal. (prog and electro house) Arthur D - House Music by Arthur_D on SoundCloud - Hear the world

1.) You need undeniable music and good music business. Great business (marketing) and decent music will get you in the game, but def won't keep you there.

2.) Just contact DJ's at clubs you respect via Twitter etc. It'll prob be like 1 / 10 that responds but its worth a shot.

3.) SC Plays and comments def helps.

4.) BRM like any other label just picks Demos they like. Your house tracks have a good progressive feel. The percussion is tight and they can def take vocals with the right singer.

Back