Advice please...

What kind of mic are you using?

What kind of eq did you use?

What's your recording environment?

I personally think the vocals are too loud but if you can answer these questions we can get more specific.

First of all thank you for your response. At the moment I'm just using the presonus studio one bundle..and I know that to an established producer/engineer..that package must sound like a joke for anyone that takes music seriously...but I'm not a producer or an engineer..I'm just trying to basically teach myself what I need to know to make my vocals sound better...I don't believe u need million dollar equipment if you are good enough ...so I have that cheap bundle..I'm actually getting a better mic today..If u knew my story .u would understand better why I'm back to amateur equipment...but anyway..I've seen people record with a simple setup and make it sound like it was produced at a major studio..so I was just wondering what I was doing wrong...

Gentle EQ is your best bet. You really cant do much on vocals they can't handle too much processing like bass instruments.

First of all, what mic did you use? :)

After mixing a thousand records or so, I can honestly say that the BIGGEST factor in getting a clear vocal is the acoustics of the room the vocals were recorded in. I can get around most other issues with a minimum of hassle and at least get to a decently good vocal. Crappy mic, I can get something that can still work on the radio. Crappy pre, same thing. Crappy mic placement, a bit more of a challenge, but I can massage it. But a bad room, I'm totally screwed and can only make minimal improvements. Usually the problem is too much ambience or the wrong kind of ambience. An extreme example, would be too much room ambience from a small bedroom. That will almost never sound good except in rare circumstances. It's funny because most people recording at home don't have the accuracy in their monitoring (either the monitors, or the room screwing with it, or just ambience noise in the room making it hard to hear things accurately) so they don't realize how much ambience is in their mic. So they might think it's fine when it's not. And then they don't take into account that their style of music might require a lot of compression on the vocal which is going to bring up the ambience even more.

So honestly, getting a clear vocal is more about where you record than any of the gear.

First of all thank you for your response. At the moment I'm just using the presonus studio one bundle..
Condensor? Dynamic? Likely not a ribbon.

After mixing a thousand records or so, I can honestly say that the BIGGEST factor in getting a clear vocal is the acoustics of the room the vocals were recorded in. I can get around most other issues with a minimum of hassle and at least get to a decently good vocal. Crappy mic, I can get something that can still work on the radio. Crappy pre, same thing. Crappy mic placement, a bit more of a challenge, but I can massage it. But a bad room, I'm totally screwed and can only make minimal improvements. Usually the problem is too much ambience or the wrong kind of ambience. An extreme example, would be too much room ambience from a small bedroom. That will almost never sound good except in rare circumstances. It's funny because most people recording at home don't have the accuracy in their monitoring (either the monitors, or the room screwing with it, or just ambience noise in the room making it hard to hear things accurately) so they don't realize how much ambience is in their mic. So they might think it's fine when it's not. And then they don't take into account that their style of music might require a lot of compression on the vocal which is going to bring up the ambience even more.

So honestly, getting a clear vocal is more about where you record than any of the gear.

THANK YOU!

This.

Back