100 Beats

M

M.E.T.H.O.D...MAN

Okay, so I have been doing the producing thing for about a year now and have compiled 100 beats that I like. I do not have speakers or a treated room, so I have to mix with my ATH-M50's and ipod speakers for reference. Because of this, I do not know if the mix is up to par to start putting these online to sell. I am just now starting to track out all the beats from Maschine into Logic for mixing and was wondering if I could get a critique on this mix and some constructive criticism. This beat is a slower, spacey type hip hop track. I set the levels, eq'd everything and compressed to taste, added a little reverb and delay on some pads and threw a limiter on it strictly to bring it up to 0db for LISTENING purposes because without it the master sits at -6db.

Attachments

• Trill Clinton.mp3
    6.3 MB · Views: 92
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks man. Started with a preset in massive and then tweaked it to my liking.

It sounds super low in volume, but I understand your situation with the setup. outside of that I like that synth as well the beat is super chill. This could work really well for deep thought study music. Im spacing out now as I type lol.

Word man. How would I get it to be louder? Basically I was taught to mix so the master peaks between -6 to -3db so that when sent for mastering they have headroom. And for listening purposes only I was told since I do not have money to send beats to get mastered, which I think is counterintuitive anyway, to put a limited on the master to bring it up to 0db. But you're right, even though it's at 0db on the master, it sounds quiet.

I think it could be because I had normalize checked on the bounce from Logic. I read that could mess with the overall loudness somehow.

mix sounds pretty good imo. personally i like my drums a lil harder, but it seems par for the course. i wouldnt doubt myself, you did a good job.

Thanks man. Just trying to be super hard on myself. This is my first mix that I have ever completed. With no properly treated room the hard part was getting things to translate. I had to mix on my ATH-M50's, and reference on iPod phones, crappy dell speakers, and a single cheap sony speaker I used as a grotbox because the other one blew out. I'd say the hardest thing for me was kick volume.

I'm gonna post another mix of this tomorrow. I think the snare needs to be a little lower in volume so that the hats can be heard slightly more. I also think the whole track needs to be lowered a Db or two so the kick can be a little louder.

Here is an updated mix I am a little happier with.

Attachments

• New Mix.mp3
    6.3 MB · Views: 26
Back