Are you mixing your own beats?

StanleySteamer

Hey guys as the title says trying to get some info on people who are fellow producers. I feel like I have great beats but I'm not the best at engineering and I spend way too much time trying to mix and not creating. I am considering hiring an engineer as I know people like metro and sonny digital send their beats out for mixing and mastering. I would like to know what some of you guys do as well thanks a lot!

I have no interest in learning mixing and/or mastering and I'd pay someone to do so and if I were you I'd pay someone to do it. Saves you time and lets you focus on what God bestowed innate talent wise.

Last edited:
Gude,

personally I like to mix and master all of my beats myself...mainly cause I got a clear vision of what it should sound like. But in generell theres nothing wrong with hiring ppl. for engineering. Some ppl. even say its bad to mix your own material, cause of emotional attachment, ear fatique and such. I never paid great attention to such dogmas (I even "master" my beats in the same project which is a no-go for most producers). Do whatever fits you best. It takes a lot of time to learn what makes and breaks a mix. I do this for several years now and theres still a lot for me to learn.
I used to hate mixing and love composing beats, now its the other way round...well not really "hating" composing, but its less fun compared to everything else atm.

Last edited:
Yeah,
sound design is 70 % of a beat/track to me so while I would definitely let someone else who I trust mix my stuff, I like being very hands-on with it. Even if someone else mixed it, I would very likely want to sit through the session with them.

If I had $ I'd send out the stuff I produce to be mixed + mastered. Then again, right now, I don't feel I'm producing beats that are on that level yet. I take too many breaks from producing tracks. When I Was younger, I was more into it. I have no space at home and don't have monitors, so I get disillusioned from time to time and give up.

I invested a LOT of time and money into mixing and mastering and it has paid off, just be patient with it. Paying for your beats to be mixed and mastered is an efficiant method to get a beat out there. But for longevity you should at least learn how to get your beats sounding half decent so you don't have to rely on anyone

I think in the beginning (when you have a low following) you should definitely try to do it all yourself - you learn more about the process and become versatile. A lot of mixing decisions have to be made BEFORE mixing: if you have a stack of 3 basses in the track, or 7 different leads playing at once, there's not going to be much a mixer can do to fix it. Mixing can help you to spot stuff like this when you are composing and avoid making an 'unmixable' mess.

I am learning and doing it now Myself, but I would gladly pay someone to do it when I will be able to afford to pay as I love more the creating part.

Last edited:
Gude,

personally I like to mix and master all of my beats myself...mainly cause I got a clear vision of what it should sound like. But in generell theres nothing wrong with hiring ppl. for engineering. Some ppl. even say its bad to mix your own material, cause of emotional attachment, ear fatique and such. I never paid great attention to such dogmas (I even "master" my beats in the same project which is a no-go for most producers). Do whatever fits you best. It takes a lot of time to learn what makes and breaks a mix. I do this for several years now and theres still a lot for me to learn.
I used to hate mixing and love composing beats, now its the other way round...well not really "hating" composing, but its less fun compared to everything else atm.

Well Said Mr. nRage... i do the same, i create, mix and master all of my own beats, and i also do so in the same project (though i sabve a duplicate copy fr othe final production separately ;)).

I'm not the greatest musician ever, but i do think i have potential, and have been told such by top producers in thehip-hop area. I have some really interesting and influential followers because i'm not a run of the mill beat maker/mix/producer. I invent new styles and don't care much about genre's, tey restrict you unless you are just the type of beat creator that knows he/she wants to do a particualr style, i mix styles all the time, and even create (sort of) new ones.

I actually mix and master all of my music but i feel like my music would be taken to another level if I paid someone to mix for me.

i mix them on my own, as well as I can. but it's always a learning process so we can continually improve. The more you know, the better.

That's the point of this forum, lol we're producers (well I guess "future" producers). We mix songs. ...it's our job.

Last edited:
It can be risky business sending it off for mixing and mastering because different engineers will produce different results. If you do it, make sure you have a good idea about the specific engineer that will be mixing your stuff. You don't want an engineer that's always mixing for example dance or edm music to then go and mix a hardcore hip hop song. It's probable that it just won't sound right. Choose an engineer who's sound you're familiar with.

Personally I used to always mix and master my old stuff back in the day after several experiences with engineers. One friend's track which we recorded together in a hired studio he left for the engineer to mix. I didn't like his final version so a week later I did a mix myself and it was a significant improvement over the original. Only at that point after the engineer heard my mix, he must have liked that version because he started making noise about wanting to get official credit for playing a keyboard part which was just a simple tune that my friend had hummed to him to play into the DAW.. :D

Well Said Mr. nRage... i do the same, i create, mix and master all of my own beats, and i also do so in the same project (though i sabve a duplicate copy fr othe final production separately ;)).

I'm not the greatest musician ever, but i do think i have potential, and have been told such by top producers in thehip-hop area. I have some really interesting and influential followers because i'm not a run of the mill beat maker/mix/producer. I invent new styles and don't care much about genre's, tey restrict you unless you are just the type of beat creator that knows he/she wants to do a particualr style, i mix styles all the time, and even create (sort of) new ones.

The music industry needs more people like you. When I listen to new music, I want to experience something I've never heard before, not the same old same old.

As far as the topic question goes, I too am learning and applying how to mix and master my own songs, and I think it is extremely beneficial if one takes the time to master these techniques.

Always try to mix, give it a "sleep" - check it on second or third day, might wanna listen some good tracks before listening to your own "child" - just to make Your ears tuned.
This trick helps me and lots of other guys i know

Back