Yamaha NS-10's

IMHO, they were never that great. They had a huge market-share, so they were ubiquitous in big studios but that's not necessarily because of their great SQ. They would be a huge improvement over KRK Rockits, but I digress...

If you are looking for vintage monitors (there are so many great powered and passive models today), I would check out Tannoy, JBL, Urei, or others. IMHO.

GJ

PS-- And I like Yamaha gear; just not those speakers. But re-wired, they make great sub-bass bass drum microphones...

GJ

Thanks for the reply!

I actually own a pair of the urei 809's.... They sound fantastic.

I also have a pair of the ns-10's as well.

I guess a better way to ask my question outs to ask, do the ns-10's serve as much of a purpose today as they did in the past? Obviously this is an opinion in some regards... Nonetheless, I'm just curious how many folks that own them avidly still use them. I haven't for a while.

I am guessing not many active producers here use (or have heard of) Urei's or NS-10's. This is a different world than when I came up, and I'm guessing you are either in my age bracket (old enough to remember them as a new item), or a vintage gear nut, or both.

There aren't many of us here...

GJ

HI!

I still use my NS-10:-)
They are great for hearing balance in a mix and if it sounds good in them, in generally sounds good everywhere:-)))

HI!

I still use my NS-10:-)
They are great for hearing balance in a mix and if it sounds good in them, in generally sounds good everywhere:-)))

Agreed. I still have mine.

I bought them from an engineer who owned them for 10+ years and I've owned them for about that long myself.

They are great in terms of getting the mid range of a mix to sound balanced in just about any listening environment.

I trust them.

At one point I added a sub to help with the low end but got to know my mixes well enough and decided to ditch the sub.

That said, as much as I appreciate the ns10's I think that if most people take the time to learn their monitors they could achieve a well balanced, quality mix. $.02

^^^^ Spot on, SFTRAXX. Any speakers will work for you if you take the time to learn them with reference music you know very well.

Don't let my NS-10 shade bother you/anyone. If they work for you, that is great!

And, there are five of us so far that know about them. I'm sure krushing does too. BandCoach would have. Chris Carter probably. But "imma guess" we're tapped out at that point. Any more on here to show me the error of my ways? (NS-10 fans or just old dudes in general?)

GJ

Hahaha... old dudes. That one got me. I’m not quite an old dude yet, but I’m getting there:)

I actually agree with what has been shared by all in this thread. Nonetheless I’m more in line with you GJ. I’ve had them for a good 5 years, and to be quite frank, they haven’t made my mixes any better... I’m at the stage where I can pretty much even get a full mix done on a set of headphones, if that’s all I have at my disposal. My default set of near fields are far more than sufficient.

I guess I came to the forum to get some modern day opinions to help give myself some justification if I choose to sell them haha. I keep just about every piece of gear I collect, but these ns10’s are collecting dust at the moment.

I’m beta testing ableton live 10, and the new features added to the push 2 make it even more enticing to purchase... I think I’m going to let these good, but nostalgic speakers go to utilize the funds for the push 2.

Thanks for the input everyone.

I currently own the Yamaha hs8's and i absolutely love them. I also mixed with a pair of ns-10's and i really didn't like their somewhat colored sound.
They were great for their time but i really think you should go for a newer model :)

Hope this helps!

I used to mix on NS-10s all the time... I actually like them. My mixes tended to have a nice mid-range when working on them... although they're pretty bright, so my mixes sometimes ended up a bit too dark. I work on large mastering speakers now, but I keep the NS-10s around so I can hear what something sounds like on little bookshelf speakers.

Back