Are the Yamaha HS7 monitors good on bass without a sub?

Andy Grewal

Okay, so I'm buying my first pair of pro monitors for my home studio set up (finally) along with other equipment. For this post my question was, are the HS7's good on low frequencies without a sub woofer?

I'm gonna be making hip hop, dub step, dnb, so I'll be using sub bass a lot. I heard a lot of people saying that the Yamis aren't on par with the KRK's when it comes to bass.

What do you guys think? Should I get the HS7's with/without a sub, or decide on other monitors that would be best for my production. Thanks in advance FP.

They will work somehow, but never as good as with a subwoofer.
If you work in bass-heavy genres like those you listed I would push a sub high up on the priority list.

That's true, I wouldn't get that bass quality without a sub. With that being said, HS7's plus SubWoofer or KRK VXT-6's? Sorry if I'm asking a whole lot, I'm new to this whole FP thing lol. Thanks for your quick reply :)

Last edited:
The HS7 is rated at 43 Hz which is not much different to the old 42 Hz HS80M, the new HS8 is rated at a slightly lower 38 Hz...The old HS10W sub was rated at 30 Hz while the new HS8S sub is rated to go as low as 22 Hz.

hmm that's interesting. Thanks for the specs. So I would assume Yamaha HS series monitors would have to require a sub, for my production needs. If I get the VXT8's or even 6's, will that eliminate the need for a sub? I also have to consider which monitors are more truthful, uncoloured, and flat as possible. Decisions, decisions.

People say a lot of good stuff about the KRKs in this thread here at GZ.
The HS7 is a cheaper monitor I believe. I have heard the HS7 but not in an environment where I was able to judge them.

If the plan is to go without sub it might seem that the KRK is the way to go. The KRK seems like a better (and more expensive) monitor.
But I´m guessing wild here as I haven´t A/B´d them.

No monitor that I have used to date has been any good reproducing freq below 65 hz. You could ask yourself if you need any representation down there if you use low-cut on most tracks, but for me mixing with a sub has become so much easier.

The good thing is that you can try. Borrow them and try them. Put on your fav commercial mix which you know sounds great and A/B all weekend. Try with/without the sub.

I've had HS7's since they first came out, primarily making a form of drum and bass on them. I'd say they're got enough low end in them for you to be able to mix accurately on them. It really depends on the room you're mixing in to be honest. My rooms got terrible acoustics so I constantly reference on my headphones. NS10's don't have the best frequency response in the low end, but engineers would just touch the woofer to know they've got enough low end. Old skool style...

Last edited:
Had a listen to the Hs7's last week, a very clear and honest sound, they sounded punchy on the kicks and way less muddy on the lower end than the KrK's, I use Adam A5's, I wouldn't hesitate in buying a set Hs7's they offer excellent value for money.

Which is important for me because I do like to get my kicks sounding really punchy and sitting nicely separated from any sub!

A monitor shouldn't sound "punchy in the kicks". The kicks should be punchy if intended. The monitor should reference the kick correctly.
Just keep in mind; HS7 is a cheap monitor. But sure, consider them if they are where your budget goes. Just A/B them with ex. the KRK´s.
I have listened several times to the HS7´s but as mentioned, not in an environment that I trust for reference.

At the moment I am using Adam Ax7 and SUB7.

Last edited:
Sorry for such a late reply guys, busy with school and such. But yeah, I read your inputs, very useful, and thank you for your feedback. :D

Bloc1 I feel you bro. I guess that's what I'll go with then, HS7's, final answer, locked in. :D

Thanks FP, you guys gave me the peace of mind I needed :D All the best everyone

Just remember.... before your sound gets to your monitors, it is what it is. After it hits the monitors.... it's a little bit different.

So.. the question you should be asking yourself is.. how accurately are these monitors representing the frequencies I'm concerned with. The ratings Holland provided you obviously are important so you know what the monitors are capable of... but from there, you want to know how accurate they are. You don't want to have a kick that sounds punchy on XYZ monitors, but is not punchy in reality before it hits the monitors. The punchiness has to do with your sample selection and mixing.

I can't help much further unfortunately since I haven't heard them. I do have Yamaha HS50m's, and I can tell you that even though I can not hear sub bass very well and detailed... I can tell you that my music still translates well when on different systems. I am able to judge where the bass levels truly are pretty decently with whatever low-end the HS50's DO provide. But honestly... I couldn't get super detailed with the low freqs lol... just overall levels. For example... On my Yams... I can't truly tell how "boomy" something is... but I know that at least the boom isn't overwhelming the entire song. A sub would fix that.

I would expect the Yam7's to be pretty accurate and allow you to mix the kick how you want it to sound... and for it to sound that way across multiple mediums. But.. that would just be my humble expectation based on my HS50's.

I'd also recommend another pair of monitors so you can A/B your stuff

Me personally.. my plan was originally to have Yam HS50m's + HS10W sub, and then a second pari of 8inch monitors to A/B. You may want to consider that type of approach.
However.. my vision changed a little bit and now i'm set on JBL LSR8's + JBL sub.. and then adding a high end pair of monitors (I'm considering Unity Audio The Rock II's) with no sub. Before... my 2nd choice was going to be Adam A7X... but I want to do as high as I can. Focals are an option as well. The JBL's will be used probably 70% of the time since I produce more than I mix. When it's time to mix, i'll switch to the high end pair and use the JBL's for reference.

Last edited:
And it goes without saying but the room is probably more important than this entire conversation anyway :-D

A monitor shouldn't sound "punchy in the kicks". The kicks should be punchy if intended. The monitor should reference the kick correctly.
Just keep in mind; HS7 is a cheap monitor. But sure, consider them if they are where your budget goes. Just A/B them with ex. the KRK´s.
I have listened several times to the HS7´s but as mentioned, not in an environment that I trust for reference.

At the moment I am using Adam Ax7 and SUB7.

Sorry, I'll rephrase that, the same song was played on the Hs 7 and the Hs 8's in room/booth specifically set up for nearfield monitoring the same song was also played on the KRK's rp6 and 8's the yamaha's offered more definition at the lower end, my advice would be, if you can, take tracks with you that you know and trust and do the pepsi challenge?:) as I did, if you catch my drift!

Good. Sure I always carry reference tracks. Never leave home without em :) But the room was utterly crappy and unknown. This store has a great studio set up for listening but did not find room for the cheaper speakers there.

Back