Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are the Yamaha HS7 monitors good on bass without a sub?

Thanks

Are the Yamaha HS7 monitors good on bass without a sub?

Sign in to disable this ad
    Okay, so I'm buying my first pair of pro monitors for my home studio set up (finally) along with other equipment. For this post my question was, are the HS7's good on low frequencies without a sub woofer?

I'm gonna be making hip hop, dub step, dnb, so I'll be using sub bass a lot. I heard a lot of people saying that the Yamis aren't on par with the KRK's when it comes to bass.

What do you guys think? Should I get the HS7's with/without a sub, or decide on other monitors that would be best for my production. Thanks in advance FP.

Thanks
    They will work somehow, but never as good as with a subwoofer.
    If you work in bass-heavy genres like those you listed I would push a sub high up on the priority list.
    Stronger (Cayden Carrell/Kvarsnes) demo v rap borrowed from 99 problems(JayZ)

Thanks
    That's true, I wouldn't get that bass quality without a sub. With that being said, HS7's plus SubWoofer or KRK VXT-6's? Sorry if I'm asking a whole lot, I'm new to this whole FP thing lol. Thanks for your quick reply
    Last edited by Andy Grewal; 10-28-2013 at 04:23 AM.

Thanks
    The HS7 is rated at 43 Hz which is not much different to the old 42 Hz HS80M, the new HS8 is rated at a slightly lower 38 Hz...The old HS10W sub was rated at 30 Hz while the new HS8S sub is rated to go as low as 22 Hz.

Thanks
    hmm that's interesting. Thanks for the specs. So I would assume Yamaha HS series monitors would have to require a sub, for my production needs. If I get the VXT8's or even 6's, will that eliminate the need for a sub? I also have to consider which monitors are more truthful, uncoloured, and flat as possible. Decisions, decisions.

Thanks
    People say a lot of good stuff about the KRKs in this thread here at GZ.
    The HS7 is a cheaper monitor I believe. I have heard the HS7 but not in an environment where I was able to judge them.

If the plan is to go without sub it might seem that the KRK is the way to go. The KRK seems like a better (and more expensive) monitor.
    But Iīm guessing wild here as I havenīt A/Bīd them.

No monitor that I have used to date has been any good reproducing freq below 65 hz. You could ask yourself if you need any representation down there if you use low-cut on most tracks, but for me mixing with a sub has become so much easier.

The good thing is that you can try. Borrow them and try them. Put on your fav commercial mix which you know sounds great and A/B all weekend. Try with/without the sub.
    Stronger (Cayden Carrell/Kvarsnes) demo v rap borrowed from 99 problems(JayZ)

Thanks
    I've had HS7's since they first came out, primarily making a form of drum and bass on them. I'd say they're got enough low end in them for you to be able to mix accurately on them. It really depends on the room you're mixing in to be honest. My rooms got terrible acoustics so I constantly reference on my headphones. NS10's don't have the best frequency response in the low end, but engineers would just touch the woofer to know they've got enough low end. Old skool style...
    Last edited by Bloc1; 10-28-2013 at 12:33 PM.

Thanks

Thanks
    Had a listen to the Hs7's last week, a very clear and honest sound, they sounded punchy on the kicks and way less muddy on the lower end than the KrK's, I use Adam A5's, I wouldn't hesitate in buying a set Hs7's they offer excellent value for money.
    MUSIC IS THE ARITHMETIC OF SOUNDS -​Debussy

Thanks
    Which is important for me because I do like to get my kicks sounding really punchy and sitting nicely separated from any sub!

Thread Information