Would You Consider This Beat Wide And Full Enough?

PROD. BY M.C.B

Grindin Rapper/Producer
I just finished makin this beat and i want to know what yall think about this mix. Does it sound professional on a mixing standpoint or does it need some more work? I have a focustrite interface and i usually mix through headphones. Any tips? I would mix with speakers but my mom gets pissed when i mix aloud by telling me to turn it all the way down which really kills my workflow (and my vibe)
View attachment back 2school.mp3

I'm impressed a lot by the actual composition of this track. Very nice chords. The mix isn't terrible by any means. I do feel like the kick is weak though. It doesn't really feel like it hits hard enough which means it could use some more lows. 40-60hz.

The snare also sounds a bit harsh. A bit too much in the highs. (Not sure which specific frequency)

Hi hats sound pretty nice. The mix as a whole has a decent stereo field. I was thinking however that the main lead in the intro is a bit too narrow. It could use some stereo width. Generally the higher you go up in the frequency spectrum the wider the stereo width tends to be. (hence bass frequencies in mono)

Anyways good job on this. You're getting there.

I just finished makin this beat and i want to know what yall think about this mix. Does it sound professional on a mixing standpoint or does it need some more work? I have a focustrite interface and i usually mix through headphones. Any tips? I would mix with speakers but my mom gets pissed when i mix aloud by telling me to turn it all the way down which really kills my workflow (and my vibe)
View attachment 45338

The production is better than the rest. How this would perform depends a lot on the vocals and the lyrics, but there are certain things about this production quality that is not pro sounding. The kick for instance is much too loud. The synth sounds are also very thin, low overall information density. On top of that you miss some real instruments and rooms. On the plus side is that the separation is pretty good (although it could be a lot better with some different panning moves everything is too center panned), the overall balance except the kick is also balanced. The depth and width is not there, but that has to do with what I mentioned. All in all it is a great start with good production, sort of a demo of your production skills, but now this stuff needs to get funneled into greater sounding stuff to make it sing. Do not blame the gear and the money too little.

Last edited:
Back