why is the sound quality better in FL studio than after rendering?

ofekchen6

Hello,

i work with FL studio and i noticed that my projects have a better sound quality inside the program than after rendering.

i render my projects into mp3.

i wanted to know why does this happen and how can i change that.

thank you :)

Not enough detail; need exact info on your process. MP3's are notorious; what quality MP3 are you saving to?

Wav=lossless.
AAC= extremely high quality lossless.
MP3=Standard, 128kbps is what soundcloud does but the max defaut bitrate for mp3 is 320.
Ogg= on par with aac.
WMV=AAC.

Also most audio sites do that for bandwidth reasons as most fellas are mobile.

Last edited:
thank you for answering! here are my rendering settings:

Attachments

• rendering settings.jpg
    rendering settings.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 431
Probably better to save everything as a .wav at 44.1/16, then make your MP3's from those master files. Your archive will take up more hard-drive space, but that is relatively inexpensive these days and a better, lossless format for your permanent master files anyway.

Wav=lossless.
AAC= extremely high quality lossless.
MP3=Standard, 128kbps is what soundcloud does but the max defaut bitrate for mp3 is 320.
Ogg= on par with aac.
WMV=AAC.

Wavs are indeed lossless. They can still be of varying quality, it's just that the quality isn't further compromised by the format itself. 44kHz/16bit is the CD audio standard, and usually deemed "good enough" for most applications. There's also Aiff, which is Apple's version of the same thing, but it's becoming a bit of a rarity these days. Just so you know. But if in any doubt about quality, use wav - even in online streaming services it's usually better to upload .wav and let the platform handle the encoding to whatever format it uses.

AAC isn't lossless, it's lossy. It's usually achieves similar quality than mp3's at lower bitrates, which makes it at least more efficient if not automatically better...OGG is similar in that sense. OGG tends to be kind of the Linux of audio formats, in the sense that while it's touted to being superior by a small-ish group of enthusiasts, it still lacks universal support, so it tends to be less useful than the ubiquitous mp3 (or AAC). AAC is afaik being used by Youtube these days.

MP3 is the lossy standard. A lot of streaming services still use the rather low bitrate of 128kbps, which can sound ok, but often fails/distorts in the high frequencies. Hihats/cymbals are usually the typical sounds that suffer from this. Higher bitrates can be pretty indistinguishable from CD audio, for example, at least in regular listening conditions.

WMV is, ahem, Windows Media Video - the audio format is called WMA, unsurprisingly.

So, Encoding an MP3 is a bit like trying to recreate a sculpture with legos... the fat ones...

Your probably already familiar with this portion, but:
Your encoder is trying to recreate your masterpiece, but at a much lower quality. The problem is, it can only capture so much information, so what does ti do with the rest? It will modify and distort it it into information that it can understand, or it will leave it out all together. This neglected information tends to be high frequency data as Krushing stated.

One Solution:
One way to combat this problem, is by removing and/or transforming the "will-be" neglected data prior to encoding. Much of it is inaudible. Adding a low-pass filter to taste on each element might help. I would start there and experiment with your work.

Hope that helps a bit.

whoops lol

Wav=lossless.
AAC= extremely high quality lossy. [whoops]
Ogg= on par with aac.
WMV=AAC.
FLac=Next highest to wav/aif

Eh xD

...except FLAC isn't "next highest", it's the same as wav - it's a lossless compression format. If there was a quality difference, it wouldn't be lossless.

F(AI)L Studio... omg... Anyway... lets not get started on fail studio.... The basic rule in 'bouncing down' is.... use a .wav format, at at least 48kbs, and 24 bit depth... This means that the Nyquist filter and sample interpolation resulting from the Nyquist filter will be reduced quite a lot... Mp3's are a joke.... never render to an mp3... capture the full bounce 1st at high quality, then master that thing and dither it down to 16 bit 44.1, then from there you can process an mp3, as the file has been readied for that last step...

Dithering introduces soft noise, so it pushes audible information into the 'safe zone' otherwise transferring from 24 bit to 16 bit without dither simply chops off anything below the '16 bit' threshold...

Best of luck

I don't have to prove a point about a DAW.. F(ai)L 'studio' is a loop based pile of sh**... Its like beginner school, kids use it, and think they are hot shot because they can program a piano roll, or hit some mad sequence on a vsti....

I just don't like it.. take fail studio away, and get these 'producers' to create something from absolutely nothing, it is never going to happen.. Playing live and capturing the essence of a live performance is skill, plugging external synths into hardware is boss cocky... not FL... anyway... I just don't like it, heaps of kids use it... it's their thing... Though the bouncing down from ANY daw, should be done as I have stated above...

Last edited by a moderator:
All daws are good. I wonder if those guys realize all daws can use vsts if they want to, but the ones that don't need external midisync & routing like midi ox or emi or rewire.
Some daws even focus on their proprietary plugins more than thirdparty sometimes as well.

It's only a fail when people mistake any daw for being inferior.
Just because I prefer Reason or studio one over fl studio and ableton, doesn't mean those software can't do what other daws can do and vice versa.

I don't have to prove a point about a DAW.. F(ai)L 'studio' is a loop based pile of sh**... Its like beginner school, kids use it, and think they are hot shot because they can program a piano roll, or hit some mad sequence on a vsti....

I just don't like it.. take fail studio away, and get these 'producers' to create something from absolutely nothing, it is never going to happen.. Playing live and capturing the essence of a live performance is skill, plugging external synths into hardware is boss cocky... not FL... anyway... I just don't like it, heaps of kids use it... it's their thing... Though the bouncing down from ANY daw, should be done as I have stated above...

I do understand what you are saying, everybody calls him/herself a 'producer' today, even if they don't know music theory or any basics about synthesis. But that's not connected to a daw, I guess. Peace.

*Brags about live music*
*Uses a fake midi guitar in his sig*

Ignoring the fact that the song in your signature is sequenced...And somehow I knew that would be true, because why be consistent?

It's not loop based anything. It's a DAW. It's just code that sits there waiting for you to do something with it. You can play live into it if you want, and it's amazing this has to be said out loud for you in 2017, but here we are. I have seen some of the most complicated production in FL. I have also seen incredible composition done in FL. And that is quite simple to do, since MIDI routing is a breeze. Very easy to do orchestral mockups.

You should also know that someone sh***** on a DAW is probably the earliest producer red flag there is. You talk about "kids," but this is something kids do when they start producing. They sh** on other daws because they have no other way to feel superior (as if superiority is a game). Then, as we get more experienced, we realize it really really really doesn't matter what tool you're using. And the fact that we thought that, at any point in our life, is really sad.

In short, grow up.

Back