Why are my mixes always so bright???????????

Dude honestly that first beat sounds dope, IDK what you're intentions are (rap beat?), but I like how everything is for the most part especially the highhat pan effect every once in a while. It sounds like you may need to add some low frequencies into the kick drum though perhaps, not sure if you tried that. maybe anywhere from 80hz to 120hz. If you want the bass to be deeper you could try an eq on that too, maybe around 60hz-80hz. Other than that I don't see much else to do. If that's how the final song will be (no vocals) then I'd add in some lead melodies.

http://www.themusicespionage.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/KickEQ.jpg here's a visual representation, you can also cut some low-mids to let the other instruments stand out more and remove some of the cardboardy sound that kicks usually have.

Dude honestly that first beat sounds dope, IDK what you're intentions are (rap beat?), but I like how everything is for the most part especially the highhat pan effect every once in a while. It sounds like you may need to add some low frequencies into the kick drum though perhaps, not sure if you tried that. maybe anywhere from 80hz to 120hz. If you want the bass to be deeper you could try an eq on that too, maybe around 60hz-80hz. Other than that I don't see much else to do. If that's how the final song will be (no vocals) then I'd add in some lead melodies.

http://www.themusicespionage.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/KickEQ.jpg here's a visual representation, you can also cut some low-mids to let the other instruments stand out more and remove some of the cardboardy sound that kicks usually have.

Doubt ill use that trash beat.;)

You know what I think would help? I have the same problem with my songs and it's good to just stop listening for a while and give yourself a chance to be less critical about the song and hear it with fresh ears. If that's the best you can do for now just finish everything up so it sounds like a completed song (I'm speaking generally here, not about your song), and then move onto something else. I'll sit there for weeks criticizing my own beats and end up getting nowhere. You gotta learn when it's time to call it quits. There will ALWAYS be something else you could add or tweak, but you'll only learn by creating new songs and overcoming new obstacles. Plus it's fun to go back to a song you thought sucked and listen to it a month later and realize it really was fire haha

i know what you mean. but this is also a different beat and u threw the drums in different pockets. i liked the beat man. it might not be engineered properly but a banger nonetheless to me at least

Hey I dont want to enter acoustic problems and listening environment but do your self a favor and start your project with a reference track
Even if I work in a very pro studio It is impossible to get a well balanced mix without using a reference track
And I suggest add the track from the beginning
Also I think you froget to use Low pass filter as much as high pass filter

Also remember if you notice to commercial releases the whole frequency range when every instrument is playing should look like a bell curve! i means nothing jump up like crazy, you should control those transients specially in 6 to 9 khz

EDIT:
I just listened to your first demo

Im not at my studio but its obvious you over use High Pass filter, did you use multiband compression on master bus and solo the channels to check your mixes ?

listen to the sample I prepared for you

Attachments

• mastered _ instrumental - fabfilter limiter.mp3
    349.1 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
If no matter what you do, your mixes always turn out a specific way you want (too bright, too boxy, too muddy).. I'd have a look at your speakers and the room they're in. This has a huge effect on your sound and why some producers are obsessed with acoustic treatment, dead spaces or finding the exact room sound they want. I remember seeing this interview with Ritchie Hawtin where he said his new studio acoustically had the exact same dimensions and sound as his old studio... guy was as happy as a kid!

Anyway.. if you're just starting out you don't have all that luxury.. But you could try moving your kit into different rooms, mixing there and see how that affects your sound.
It'll give you a good idea of what your kit sounds like, and how much effect the room around you has.

And of course, the old trick of getting multiple speakers, including some really crappy ones, and headphones.
Do your main mix on your best speakers, but make sure to check on the others as you're working and you'll get a much better idea of your sound and what you're doing to it.

It's all in how you cut your frequencies. I use FL studio and Fruity parametric EQ... I used another for a while and I can't remember the name but I'll always go back to FPE. The sample or instrument you are using makes a big difference too. I always think mine sound real bright compared to everyone else's as well. What I did to get rid of this was cut the frequencies on anything about 500... If it still sounds bright, slowly take away a little at a time until it doesn't.. Mixing really isn't rocket science, and you're going to continue to learn every single day. Hell, maybe a bright kick is what you need too. There are some producers out there making banging trap beats in the style of MIGOS, Travis Scott, and so on and they have bright kicks.

Back