Why are my kick drums clicking and distorting when i layer or raise their level?

GRiiM

I've been baffled these past few days trying to figure out why my kick loses its punch and sounds flabby once it hits the -8db Mark.

I made sure the phases of all of them were similar, and they weren't redlining, but there's always a click or a pop that keeps it from staying punchy. Either my speakers are trash or there's something I'm missing.

I would very very much appreciate the help guys. Thanks.

Last edited:
There are several variable that outs need to know to help out a little more...

1. Are you cutting out the unnecessary sub frequencies to ensure you have the most head room possible?

2. Have you made the proper cuts to the mid range to get rid of the boxy-ness?

3. Layering kick drums can sometimes get a little fidgety... Listen carefully to ensure there is no phasing going on.

4. Since you are layering several complex sounds together, a multi band compressor could be helpful.

5. To ensure your cleaned kick sounds punchy at low volumes... Parallel compression can also be very helpful.

Do you happen to have an audio clip of the kick you're describing?

Nevermind i found out what was wrong. I didn't know Asio4all supported my Realtek sound driver. I updated it and now i'm using "Realtek Asio". My drums sound punchy like they should = ) false alarm. I'll use your tips if i run into a similar incident. Thanks.

Back