why do radio stations compress the hell out of a record? REVISITED QUESTION

acetheface954

hi again. I'm specifically talking about electronic music. someone years ago gave me an answer as to why but I actually forgot what the reply was. so can anyone explain it to me why they compress records and by how many dB do they compress it?

oh and if you're the type to say no they don't do that you're wrong. check this post and read Wha Chu Mean's comment.

https://www.futureproducers.com/for...et-radio-commercial-compression-sound-320012/

Last edited:
Radio stations put everything they broadcast through a limiter. I believe that a station can be fined if it doesn't broadcast its material within a certain range (not 100% sure on this since I'm unfamiliar with broadcasting regulations).

Not sure how you would be able to determine a specific amount of gain reduction of a song being broadcast unless you had both the song played through the limiting of the radio station and the original track. Maybe you can try contacting a specific station for that information.

Radio stations put everything they broadcast through a limiter. I believe that a station can be fined if it doesn't broadcast its material within a certain range (not 100% sure on this since I'm unfamiliar with broadcasting regulations).

Not sure how you would be able to determine a specific amount of gain reduction of a song being broadcast unless you had both the song played through the limiting of the radio station and the original track. Maybe you can try contacting a specific station for that information.

I'm pretty sure its -3db. That seems to be a magic number within the world of sound manipulation :-). I know it's in an old thread of mine. Going to have to track it down :-/

Back