Why buy mixers?

frequentc

I'm a hobbyist producer, and for the most part I make shoddy amateur projects.
One of my friends told me he was thinking about buying a mixer.
This posed a question, with all the digital software available allowing you to mix your inputs while recording and in post producing and all these good audio interfaces out there, what use would a good mixer really do in today's home studio. I know this might be a novice question, but I wish to learn more and add more to my knowledge, instead of blindingly purchase a mixer like my friend here.

if i had the money to spend on a mixer, i would get a nice one...i'd need at least 30-40 tracks on it though...and that'd be expensive.. i know software can do the same thing...but actual mixers are right in front of you...yes, as are the computers/software.. but i mean, you have your volume knobs, your eq's, your FX sends...EVERYTHING right there on the mixing board...I would like to mess with a mixing board if i could instead of clicking a mouse 500 times while looking for the right plugin and settings.......i think its matter of preference...yet at the same time...in real professional studio's, you're going to see mixing boards everywhere....like i said, it really depends on you, what you like, and what you're going for.

If you already have an Audio interface with enough Inputs/Outputs, just get a Midi Control Surface.

MACKIE CONTROL UNIVERSAL

MCUpro-xlarge.jpg

MACKIE CONTROL UNIVERSAL EXTENDER

MCUproXT
MCUproXT-xlarge.jpg

Mackie Control Extender Pro | Sweetwater.com

Is there really ANY advantage to having a mixer pre-sound wise?
because it sounds like it's just convienience, hell a midi control surface sounds like a better investment.
If you ask me, mixers seem as irrelevant as synths nowadays.

Mixers are just for preference reasons now
They would make things like EQ'ing your mic settings a bit faster, but if youre a software producer you dont NEED a mixer these days

depends on the user really. I have mixers that i use for a cheap alternative for routing my hardware into my 2 input interface when i decide to use it. its also useful if u have multiple external audio sources like mics guitars bass ect. Not everything should be all soft synth

Trust me man you don't need a mixer. As you know all DAWs come with virtual mixers. So it defeats the purpose of buying a physical one. People who like being hands on, love the feel of knobs and faders between their fingers are more prone to buying hardware. If that's you then knock yourself out dawg.

People who like being hands on, love the feel of knobs and faders between their fingers are more prone to buying hardware. If that's you then knock yourself out dawg.
Yeah I just think it's down to personal preference and what you're used to/comfortable with.

SPEED and EASE is the number one reason anyone doing this as a profession should consider ANY equipment purchase. Faster results means faster turnaround which also means more money. If I can do two mixes in one day because some piece of equipment makes my life easier getting me the results that I want quickly its return will soon justify the investment.

If you don't know why you would need a mixer, you probably don't need a mixer. With that said, I never use mixers for mixing since I kept it all in the box. However, if you record instruments or have several keyboards or sound modules, a mixer is essential so you can have everything plugged in. A mixer also allows you to make a "monitor mix" so the levels you hear are independent from the levels you record. Even basic setups can benefit from being able to create a monitor mix.

i brought one for fantom power and in case i wanted to mic more than one person that came in handy a few times but almost every recording software has a goos mixer in it

Some people NEED mixers for live use. Others NEED mixers for the amount of Pre amps they have. Others NEED mixers because they like mixing analog.

Me, I like the idea of being able to bounce stuff down from 16-track tape to the box, bounce out a two track stereo dummy mix and continue - all my in the box is 1st gen tape.

If I'm working with a full drum kit I'm likely to use 8-10 mics on it to get the sounds just right - that means having a mixer with at least 10 channels.

From there if you are tracking a band, you're going to need more channels still.

In spite of the growth in technology, a band playing together in the studio will give a more solid groove than recording each instrument separately using only your two-channel interface. So needs must; if you need it, you get it.

---------- Post added at 07:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:17 AM ----------

BTW - I have a TASCAM US-2400 control surface (24 channel strips plus master) as well as a Mackie 24.8 Onyx with meter bridge. One for post production and one for pre-production/production.

some would say if you like to buy a mixer "analog" and looking to it for sound they would have to spend $2,000 to $5,000 per channel strip..this seems to be more a Gearslutz.com forum answer....they are on some buying old neve channel strips and stuff like that to track and mix through

The mixer still offers a solution for routing and monitoring multiple sources even if few people actually need to use them to mix multiple channels to a single track anymore.

Back