Why arnt my mixes ''in your face'' as the professional mixers

Ferdows

Hi guys,

I feel like when I compare my mixes to professional mixes, all the elements are cleaner and more in your face. And I cant figure out what makes that difference.

I try to eq everything the right way and to pan certain instruments in the right place, but still I cant achieve the same.

Heres an example of my mix:
R. Kelly - Slow Wind (Ferdows Remix) by Ferdows | Free Listening on SoundCloud

And an professional mix thats some way similar to my track:
YouTube

Can someone give me some tips what I can improve in my mix to get closer to a professional mix?

Thanks in advance.

btw imagine if Chris Carter would stop by here and give me some tips himself, just imagine *hint* *hint* lol

I know how you feel man the struggle is real but your mix sounded pretty darn good to me. Other elements that help with loudness & a clean mix are Gating the Drums & Staccato instruments like arps & overall Gain of the music. You should use a Loudness Meter/Analyzer and load up both your track & the professional one you want to compare it to, then tweak away until your track peaks out at the same db's.

Last edited:
I know how you feel man the struggle is real but your mix sounded pretty darn good to me. Other elements that help with loudness & a clean mix are Gating the Drums & Staccato instruments like arps & overall Gain of the music. You should use a Loudness Meter/Analyzer and load up both your track & the professional one you want to compare it to, then tweak away until your track peaks out at the same db's.

thank you for your reply, but im not sure if you understand what I mean. Im not talking about loudness, I dont aim to get my mixes so loud that theres no dynamics left.

Im trying to get the clarity that professional mixes have, the way every element is so audible and has his own space. I try that with eq compression and panning, but still dont get the same they do.

So I thought maybe a trained ear can hear some problems in my mix. Maybe too many elements? I cant figure it out.

I listened to your mix and could hear what you meant within seconds of listening...respectfully speaking.

EQ in general:
Your levels are great, and ironically, your low end is actually rather tight...I'd probably control it a little more with some multi band compression though--- There are several issues you'll need to work on to get your mixes to breath and pop. For one, your low mids that are causing some issues. Go back to your tracks and check out whats going on between 200-500...there is a lot of energy build up in that frequency range that is definitely muffling things. After that, try cleaning up the 650-850 range as well... Try listening to competitive reference tracks as much as possible when it comes to equalizing...

Mid/Side EQ & Left/Right EQ:
I'm curious how your panning looks... I'm sure that once you clean those kids out better that the mix will immediately become wider. Are you familiar with Mid/Side EQ or Left/Right EQ? I can hear some mids in that lower flute pad that don't exactly need to be carved with a stereo EQ...instead I would try either a Mid/Side EQ or Left/Right EQ, depending on where you have that instrument panned. Try utilizing Mid/Side EQ or Left/Right EQ more in your mixes vs just using standard Stereo EQ...you're able to carve a bit more precise.

Multi Band Compression:
Your sub bass could definitely use some Multi Band Compression. Obviously you want to hear the sub, but you also do want it to overpower your song...unless thats what you're going for... Sometimes a Multi Band Compressor can serve a better precision tool when dialing in your compression on a specific instrument.

Distortion:
This is huge...no pun intended. Harmonic distortion is soooooo overlooked in mixing by most. For example, your kick sounds fantastic; buts its so plain and doesn't stand out. Try adding some harmonic distortion to give it more character to pop in the lows and as well as the 2k-4k range. Harmonic distortion is applicable on almost any sound and can most certainly bring any sound to life. In this particular track, your kick and sub have to many similar sonic characteristics. Adding the distortion to the kick could definitely help it bite in your mix.

Tuning you Verbs and Delays:
Don't get me wrong, you don't HAVE to do this but it definitely helps until you have a clear picture of your verbs and delays... Set up a pink noise track and send you verbs and delays to the pink noise. Obviously check each verb and delay, one at a time... You'll easily be able to hear what frequencies need to be cut out of your verbs and delays what trying to make pink noise sound good:-)

Parallel Compression & Parallel EQ Compression:
I wait as long as possible to add Parallel Compression...I'd rather not overload my signal with "unwanted" frequencies, so try your best to clean your tracks as best as possible before adding Parallel Compression. Another trick is to place an EQ before the compressor you're using to send parallel compression to your tracks. This can help dial in specific areas of the spectrum you are trying to Parallel Compression...sometime Parallel Compressing the entire signal can be counter productive.

Sorry if I'm telling you things you're already aware of...these are just a few tips I can give hearing the mix you've shared. Let me know if I can be of further assistance:-)

Hey there. Redverb discover topic quite well.
First, to understand why you can`t compete with top records, because of many reasons. One of them - its getting mixed by engineers with 20+ years of experience, 2nd - its getting mixed in expensive studios with large mixer console (like 40-120 tracks), where they control every detail in mix. So, dont be too harsh to yourself.

In your case, you can achieve that with mastering. Mostly with multiband compressor (or dynamic compressor) like C4 from Waves. It will give you dynamic range and RMS, but you should tweak it to your conditions. Also, short reverb and delay to make mix more natural.
Less bass, so highs will be there after.

Hope that helps.

Back