where and how did everyone learn to Eq and master there music?

BubbaBen

I'm very new to the game here guys and I'm sick of my beats sounding dull and want to take the next step but I just don't know where to start.

Any good videos recommended or anything? cheers peepz

I jus practiced over the years. You develop a ear for that other people can't use. Use the EQ to carve frequencies out. Don't use it to boost certain frequencies. If you listen and take your time for long enough, you'll be able to achieve a quality mix.

Indeed, plenty of practice and best of all, critique feedback. I remember my drums were weak but I thought the patterns were dope until I looked for feedback and I was torn to shreds. But my skin is armor, I took it in and just got better. Mostly DJs I prefer the feedback, they know sound and need the dope shit for their set.

Just listen more with your ears and try to understand others listening habits.

Good luck.

I jus practiced over the years. You develop a ear for that other people can't use. Use the EQ to carve frequencies out. Don't use it to boost certain frequencies. If you listen and take your time for long enough, you'll be able to achieve a quality mix.

I just attempted to mix,eq and master a quick song I made just then.

Reckon you could judge it for me and see how I went?

Honestly if you want to learn to mix and eq you should just look at some videos on YouTube or go to a masterclass.
EQing is a skill that takes time to learn so just keep practicing and train your ears.

It's about time and hard work. Nobody become a master sound engineer overnight. The professional sound engineering took many years to improve their skills and their ears. However you can watch on youtube a lot of tutorial about mixing and mastering.

In my case I practiced a lot with pro recorded already mastered content, that's a great way of becoming a pro mastering engineer because you are forced to improve what is already great, which is the mastering engineer's primary goal - to simply improve the mix. It's much smarter to practice like that than to grab some poorly recorded and mixed content and master that.

So become familiar with your greatest masters and make them better. It's totally possible to improve a great master. If you are a great mastering engineer you can do it.

Yep, as others have said...while there are many great tutorials out there, there's simply no shortcut to exercising your ears. That's just gonna take some time.

I think everyone is always learning when it comes to music. i'm not a pro at mixing and mastering, but getting better at sound design tho.
it's a process that could take up years, and that's why there's forums like these. post your music, and read the feedback.

I'll still refer to a frequency chart if I get into a mess... I don't treat the chart as gospel but it's a good resource to refer to.

In ableton live , you can learn with some tuto's in youtube.
here's a good resource : https://www.youtube.com/user/pointblankonline
this channel has everything, from reviewing VST plugins to mixing and mastering masterclasses.
check it out, if you understand what they're doing, you can apply this to any DAW and effect..

also, check out the articles section on this website, it contains a lot of usefull info.

Last edited:
As mentioned, you need to put in a shit ton of hours.
There's really no short cut, but having the right tools, a mentor and/or attending pro sessions
can help accelerate the process.

It's like asking how to learn to play an instrument really good. .. put in the time 24/7/365. gl

Last edited:
As mentioned, you need to put in a shit ton of hours.
There's really no short cut, but having the right tools, a mentor and/or attending pro sessions
can help accelerate the process.

It's like asking how to learn to play an instrument really good. .. put in the time 24/7/365. gl

And on top of that, be willing to experiment. I think that's key to getting good at anything. Because if you mix every vocal you ever get with the same eq changes just because you feel like this eq should work (like a smiley face eq), and you aren't really satisfied with your vocals, but you keep doing smiley face eqs because you hear that's what people do, you are going to waste a lot of hours that could be spent experimenting. Put in hours, but put in smart hours.

It's sort of like when people are recording a verse, and they do the exact same delivery everytime, trying to get that same delivery right. Me and my friends would do upwards of 100 takes when, clearly, we should've just tried a dramatically different delivery. We kept the same mind state.

Back