where do i start?

H-RoB

i make most of my beats on the fantom and im just begining to learn the basics of mixing down my tracks. i notice that my tracks on the fantom sound good on my computer but dull in the car. i wanna know how do u add a lil warmth and richness to your mix. im using sonar 4 to record my beats off the fantom. im not recording the tracks 1 by 1 an adding effects when transfering my beat. maybe that might be the reason. i still feel like the quality of my beat should be a lil cleaner. any advice

I would mix all the trax in the fantom, unless I had an effect I wanted to use that was only available on your computer. When you get the trax over in the computer, you can add a little eq--maybe boosting the highs just a little. However, the main problem seems to be your monitors. They aren't giving you an accurate picture of your sound. What speakers are you mixing on?

You may want to spend $100.00 on a good set of headphones. Also, after you have decided on a set of monitors, call up the catalogue company and see if they are in the scratch and dent section. You can get a significant discount if they are.

Also, are you normalizing the track before you burn it. That often helps it to sound better. Also, some compression will help the track hold together. However, over compressing can boost the mids and make the track sound tinny. Try recording the track on the computer, making several copies, then applying different eq amounts to each track. Burn all of them to a CD then try them in the car. Pick the one that sounds the best, note the way you ed'ed it. Then apply that eq curve to all the tracks you record with those speakers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back