Where Is The Best Place/ Way To Learn How To Mix Vocals Professionally For Free?

FlakStar1

Does any one know of any places or ways to learn to get professional sounding vocals for free? I have tried Youtube for years and simply cannot find a video that has helped me get to getting professional sounding vocals. It is REALLY annoying. I have also tried to mix vocals by using my ear but no luck. There have been many times in which I think it is my microphone that is preventing me from getting a good mix but I have also seen many people get professional sounding quality with the same microphone. I use a Rode Nt1-a incase if you are wondering. I would get some else to mix for me but the good audio engineers cost an arm and a leg. I also use Logic Pro X for mixing with the waves bundles.

Trying to rely on youtube isn't the way to go IMO. You can buy a book or two, but they aren't free (though you might try the local library).

There is one way: trial and error. :) I think that's how most ultimately learn most of what they know anyway.

You have all the tools you need, but like futureducer said, it will take time. Trial and error is the best way to learn, but there are plenty of resources which can assist you. SOS has some really great articles with engineers dissecting their mixes, including screenshots of plugins, etc.

Remember these basic tips:

-Get good levels when you're recording- anything too hot will prevent you from getting a good mix.
-Use a combination of inserts and busses.
-Always cut before you boost when eqing a vocal
-Be conservative with FX and dynamic processing (too much compression, reverb, delay, etc. is the quickest indicator of an amateur mix)

Good luck man!

Back