When to use stereo and mono when mixing?

JMolter

I need advice on how to mix my tracks with stereo. When is it good to use it, when is it not good to use it, etc. I've been reading that you should mainly be using stereo on atmospheric synths and higher frequency ones, while avoiding using it on kicks and snares and bass. Is there truth to that? Let me know what you all think.

That's basically the gist of it...
I tend to use the rule: if it doesn't have to be stereo, keep it mono..
Higher drums like snares and hats can go both ways..
On a 4/4 dance track you want to keep them nice, tight and centered. But with breaks I always end up panning them around, because having a hundred snares fighting for that same space ends up sounding like crap.
Even then, starting mono is handy, because you can always use delay like effects and things to break them out into stereo again, but with finer control over what goes where.

>>>>Higher drums like snares and hats can go both ways..<<<<

I can't think of a reason to put either of these in stereo.

>>>>Higher drums like snares and hats can go both ways..<<<<

I can't think of a reason to put either of these in stereo.

Well obviously the reason would be that the stereo has something going on you want to retain?
Like I said: If you indeed can't think of a good reason for it: then it should probably be mono :)

What synthetic hi-hat has ever been in stereo? (Serious question).

If you are talking about samples from records, then that is different of course, but then you're also most likely dealing with an entire stereo drum track, not a hi-hat or snare.

I don't mean to be picky, but there is so much confusion out there about mono vs. stereo, and if we don't choose our words carefully, we can easily add to that confusion.

I'm sure it depends on each track but I usually go the simple way. I keep my 808, kick, main snare, and main hat mono. Percussion I usually float around between mono and stereo to find the perfect balance, so it always depends on the track. I put the melodies and instruments all on stereo but separate them to make them sound good. Here is an example of what I am left with. Note: I am not good at mastering at all so this is a rough master.

Back