Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: what's wrong with my mic?

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    The mic is several years old, but at that time it was worth around 150€ in my place. I think that the mic might be broken, anyway I think it would be a good move to invest into a new microphone, I had that in plans for a while.

I like my yamaha mixer, I think for my home studio purposes it suits me well, but I wonder can I connect external preamps or compressors to this Yahama AG-03 mixer, bacause it has one XLR/Line input? (using Direct box as in YT?)

And basically if I decide to go more advanced on hardwere, my mixer can get tricky to use and I should skip to an audio interface? <- Just the question
    Last edited by ErnAbr; 09-22-2017 at 02:32 AM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ErnAbr View Post
    I like my yamaha mixer, I think for my home studio purposes it suits me well, but I wonder can I connect external preamps or compressors to this Yahama AG-03 mixer, bacause it has one XLR/Line input? (using Direct box as in YT?)
    Yes, if it's all inline. But as the article that OGBama posted says in the end - "if you're just starting out, forget about preamps and get a slightly more expensive interface instead" - I really like that an equipment manufacturer that doesn't do interfaces says that. The differences in preamps - even those expensive, "character" or "color" preamps are really subtle. Turning a preamp's gain up by a dB or two will make a more drastic difference (perceived difference, that is) than the character of a preamp ever will be. Not saying that preamps don't matter, but basically you might be in for a disappointment if you pair an external preamp with a low-endish mic and low-endish interface, especially if you don't have a great-sounding space to record in.

And basically if I decide to go more advanced on hardwere, my mixer can get tricky to use and I should skip to an audio interface? <- Just the question
    At this point, if it works...why change? Change when you know you have a weak point, not because you think something new will somehow magically improve "stuff"
    They Make A Desert And Call It Peace

Bittihiisi | Krushing | Krushord | Salaneuvosto |

Thanks
    alright, I learned something new about music hardware and cables. Thanks a lot guys!!

As a beginner I don't need all that fancy stuff!!
    Last edited by ErnAbr; 09-22-2017 at 03:58 AM.

Thanks
    Do your microphone use an XLR-cable? These cables usually makes crazy noises after a while so investing in a slighty more expensive one is often good tip!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Trout Beatz View Post
    Do your microphone use an XLR-cable? These cables usually makes crazy noises after a while so investing in a slighty more expensive one is often good tip!
    Frankly that's a weird generalization that "XLR cables make crazy noises after a while" - yeah, cheap cables can break. So can expensive ones. But they rarely spontaneously break, and I've had plenty of cheapo cables that have lasted for years and years - and I've had some better ones that gave up the ghost quickly because they got twisted or something. But yeah, just saying that do get a decent-quality cable by all means...but this doesn't have to be expensive at all.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by krushing View Post
    Frankly that's a weird generalization that "XLR cables make crazy noises after a while" - yeah, cheap cables can break. So can expensive ones. But they rarely spontaneously break, and I've had plenty of cheapo cables that have lasted for years and years - and I've had some better ones that gave up the ghost quickly because they got twisted or something. But yeah, just saying that do get a decent-quality cable by all means...but this doesn't have to be expensive at all.
    If you've ever been in a band-rehearsal, school music-class or perhaps in a 'spartanic' studio-session then you would know that XLR-cables are not to be trusted, having a few extra pairs laying around is a necessity more than a precaution.

But that is just my opinion.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Trout Beatz View Post
    If you've ever been in a band-rehearsal, school music-class or perhaps in a 'spartanic' studio-session then you would know that XLR-cables are not to be trusted, having a few extra pairs laying around is a necessity more than a precaution.

But that is just my opinion.
    Not disagreeing at all, having a few spares is always good - but basically that goes for all cables in general. But since we're offering assistance and advice to a (relative) newbie, the advice needs to be understandable in that particular concept. And in my experience I've never had cables, nor specifically XLR cables, spontaneously make crazy noises - of course they break when you're in a space with multiple people and cables running on the floor and whatnot, but that's got little to do with the cables themselves

Thanks
    It's always worth checking the cable. I reocmmend investing in a decent one. If you've had updates I would also check for driver incompatibility issues.

Thread Information