Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what's wrong with my mic?

Thanks

what's wrong with my mic?

Sign in to disable this ad
    Hello,

my microphone was working a few days ago without a problem.

But today I decided to practice and the microphone makes crazy noises.

What might be the problem?

There was a huge windows update, but I don't think that it is the problem, I keep my system clean, please help!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks
    Do you have an audio interface and if so, what brand? What type of mic do you have e.g. condenser, USB mic, etc. and if it is condenser you need either a standalone preamp or an audio interface that can handle phantom power. USB mics are not ideal for recording.
    "Rap is only one end of a whole spectrum of verbal play and virtuosity. Rap is geared for aural pleasure." Rita Dove

"Talent is pursued interest." Bob Ross

Thanks
    I use FL-Studio with a Yamaha AG-03 mixer and a condenser microphone Takstar SM-10B.

I was doing everything like always, but somethings wrong, I pluged in a cheap head set microphone into the mixer and it works O.K, but the good mic is making noises.

is it possible that the microphone broke?
    Last edited by ErnAbr; 09-21-2017 at 10:01 AM.

Thanks
    Ditch the mixer and cheap mic. You don't need the former and for the latter research Rode, Audio-Technica, Neumann, Lauten Audio, Electro-Voice, etc.
    "Rap is only one end of a whole spectrum of verbal play and virtuosity. Rap is geared for aural pleasure." Rita Dove

Thanks
    Alright, but I'm interested why should I use preamp or an audio interface instead of a mixer which I have and it seems decent?
    Last edited by ErnAbr; 09-21-2017 at 12:04 PM.

Thanks
    A mixer is unnecessary unless you were/are to use a turntable. DAWs have in the box mixing capabilities and here is why a preamp is a must

Why Do I Need a Preamp? Home Studio Academy
    Last edited by OGBama; 09-21-2017 at 12:07 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to OGBama For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    ok, I understand the difference now.

But, I don't understand the next step on how to use preamps and audio interfaces. As I understand you connect your microphone to a preamp, then you connect your preamp via line inputs to your audio interface and then you connect your audio interface to your computer, right?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ErnAbr View Post
    ok, I understand the difference now.

But, I don't understand the next step on how to use preamps and audio interfaces. As I understand you connect your microphone to a preamp, then you connect your preamp via line inputs to your audio interface and then you connect your audio interface to your computer, right?
    YouTube

Thanks
    OK, I also have several more question if you may answer please:

so audio interfaces have pre-built amps, is it really necesery to use an external pre-amp? How does this increase the quality of my vocals?

Since I'm a beginner, shouldn't I be satisfied just with an audio interface with pre-built amp?

I see that my mixer has a knob that has GAIN function for the microphone channel and a fader for recording volume, isn't it the same as pre-build amp in an audio interface?

Thanks
    In the case of the Yamaha AG-03, this is a mixer that has both preamps and an audio interface built in. Also the mic doesn't seem to be that cheap? Most of the condensers in this price range are made in China anyway, and might even have more or less the same parts – of course the quality control for well-known brands might be better, but obvious product defects aside I doubt they're leaps and bounds better than "no-name" Chinese brands.

Anyway - hard to say what causes the noise. The diaphragm - the part that "picks up" the sound - is a pretty delicate part, and it's possible for it to become damaged from even something as simple as blowing hard into the mic. And of course dropping it or knocking it hard to something might do this as well. But the easiest way to verify whether or not the mic's broken is to connect something else to the mixer and see if it makes those noises - if it still does, it's not the mic.
    They Make A Desert And Call It Peace

Bittihiisi | Krushing | Krushord | Salaneuvosto |

Thread Information