whats side chaining?

along with that explanation check out the songs benny benassi - satisfaction or eric prydz - call on me and youll hear the effect in the main parts of both songs. it can also be used to control effects levels like a reverb or filter

i didnt understand all what he said on video but i have one question...

im using SideChain (often Mono) from Waves on my bass...with some preset...is ok to do it like that?

It's not really ok to just do things and not know what you're doing.

You're saying you sidechain from waves to bass, but waves what? Waves c1 compressor? Waves center? Waves L2?

It's not really ok to just do things and not know what you're doing.

You're saying you sidechain from waves to bass, but waves what? Waves c1 compressor? Waves center? Waves L2?

im talking about c6-SideChain Mono or Stereo...that combination i got from one local producer..he is making EDM i m on Rap...but it doesnt matter

What doesn't matter?

is it a sidechain preset? Sidechain compression can be more approachable than just using a compressor, and it's a little more obvious to hear what the release is doing.

The act of "side-chaining" in the producing world basically just means you send the output of one channel to the input of a plugin on another.

What doesn't matter?

is it a sidechain preset? Sidechain compression can be more approachable than just using a compressor, and it's a little more obvious to hear what the release is doing.

i mean , it doesnt matter that he use SidecHain for edm and i m using it for rap.......

@wallengard thanks that helped me in some way

Hehe that's quite funny. I helped in "some" way.. that's cool. :-)

I can clarify it slightly with an example:

If you sidechain a plugin (compressor, gate, etc) on track A to track B, the signal from track B will trigger the plugin on track A and affect the signal on track A accordingly.

Last edited:
The act of "side-chaining" in the producing world basically just means you send the output of one channel to the input of a plugin on another.
almost correct, you do almost correct yourself completely in the following post

side chaining involves a dynamic processor (compressor/limiter/gate/expander) applied to a signal being triggered/keyed by a signal from another channel (there is no point in using the signal from the channel it is being applied to as the trigger/key)

i.e. audio from a different source within the same mix is being used to control the application of the dynamic processor to the channel it is part of

your trigger/key can be applied to open the processor or close the processor so that you can delay reverbs and delays being heard until the signal is no longer present, avoiding clutter issues.

For example, a vocal track has a reverb and delay processing stack applied to it. the output of the vocal channel not only feeds the processing stack but also provides the trigger/key for the noise gate at the end of that processing stack - this allows the reverb and delays to have the vocal signal to process throughout but only allows the outputs to be heard once the vocal is no longer present

sidechain.png

Last edited:
It's nice to know that I don't have to be completely right, and the things I get wrong are swiftly corrected and learned from!

So, would I have been correct if I would have rephrased it and used "signal" instead of output, and left out the misconception of it having to come from another channel?

ummm not sure

My example is about using send fx rather than insert fx, so using the channel that is feeding the aux channel as control is entirely feasible and in most cases desirable.

if you are applying it to insert fx then using the local channel as trigger may be appropriate but somewhat pointless as you get the same degree of control by simply allowing the signal on that channel to "naturally" trigger the dynamic processors action

the control signal can be from anywhere in the same mix; my example uses a closely tied set of channels to emphasise the practical uses beyond the obvious one of ducking/compressing signal when a specific sound is heard (the typical ducking applied to bass when an 808 or other style of kick is heard)

my favourite example is the use of a cowbell to trigger a noise gate on guitar so that the rhythm heard is a lot tighter than it would otherwise was as heard in coming up by Paul McCartney - there is no rhythmically played cowbell but you can hear the guitar rhythm is tight and clean

Ok so I am quite confident I at least had the same idea of side chaining, but I probably wasn't clear or detailed enough in my replies.

@bandcoach and Wallengard...thanks for these infos/tips...but on this forum you have people who doesnt know very well english...like me...so i wanna make a summary of this...which is in my head....

yea i know i m stupid about producing things but here is my thinking:

Im using SideChain on Bass channel - becouse we have Kick and the Bass where they 'shoot' AT THE SAME TIME....so with adding SideChain to the bass channel we are somehow changing the time of 'shooting' for that element...(i see something in FL while adding it...freq latency is 0.18 (dont remember the exacly number) ...becouse of that latency i think this is true what im saying lol :D

also...if im not wrong (possibly yes but) if we have drum pattern with 2/4 ; Kick - Snare - Kick - Snare+kick (these 2 in the same time, you have this in One Mic - Nas, and in Techno songs i think) then we also should add SideChain to Snare.............? yea i know im retarded xD

@bandcoach and Wallengard...thanks for these infos/tips...but on this forum you have people who doesnt know very well english...like me...so i wanna make a summary of this...which is in my head....

yea i know i m stupid about producing things but here is my thinking:

Im using SideChain on Bass channel - becouse we have Kick and the Bass where they 'shoot' AT THE SAME TIME....so with adding SideChain to the bass channel we are somehow changing the time of 'shooting' for that element...(i see something in FL while adding it...freq latency is 0.18 (dont remember the exacly number) ...becouse of that latency i think this is true what im saying lol :D

also...if im not wrong (possibly yes but) if we have drum pattern with 2/4 ; Kick - Snare - Kick - Snare+kick (these 2 in the same time, you have this in One Mic - Nas, and in Techno songs i think) then we also should add SideChain to Snare.............? yea i know im retarded xD

You're not dumb. Frankly expecting everyone to speak english is dumb on our part.

Ya, there is a snare that hits with the kick in part of the one mic pattern.

Now because I'm not totally on board with what you're saying I'm just going to clear up somethings in case you have misconceptions. If not, I apologize.

Ducking the bass out of the kick is a common practice, but doesn't need to happen in every song, and if it does in hip-hop you might want to look at what kind of kick and bass you are choosing.

The plugin latency is obviously a side effect of the side-chain and not the intended effect. I forget how FL measures that. 0.18ms? 0.18s? If it's the latter that's a problem.

With your question regarding side-chaining the snare, because you are producing hip-hop and not doing this for a creative effect, I feel like you're doing it without understanding how it's affecting everything. Is your snare covering up your kick? You might just want to turn it down then, or adjust the midi velocity when it hits with the kick. But if you have a snare like the one in One Mic, with a lot of air and high mid content but not as focused in the lower end of the spectrum, you shouldn't need to side-chain it unless your kick has similar sonic characteristics. Even then, you can probably fix the problem with levels. An audio example of the track you're working on would be nice.

on language issues, what language do you prefer - we have several different native speakers of European and Asian languages with strong English who would be more than willing to translate for you, I can even use google translate (it is getting better all the time) on some of what I have written as I have smattering of Musical French, German, Italian and Russian, which allows me to recognise mistranslations as well as to hear these and closely related languages spoken and recognise bad translations in sub-titles - just ask and I'll have a go for you

firstly the sidechain should not be delaying when a sound hits - it should be ducking (reducing in volume) the affected sound: no more, no less.

what dynamic compressors are you using to do this? the latency issue is how long the plug-in takes to process the audio and most daws adjust their timing to match specific plug-in requirements 0.18ms (180 microseconds) is very short and would be mostly negligible to the final results

Last edited:
Speak serbian so everyone will understand you! haha :D
Thanks for tips again. yep it a little affected on my personaly knowing about sidechain...yeah i misunderstood 'ducking'...but again...when i add SideChain (im using a C6 Side Chain Mono(or Stereo) from Waves) on the DB METER it will show that the bass is loud (but it will only show, bass practically isnt that loud (how i know RMS is then very low for that (after adding something of sidechain on that bass)) so thats confusing me...aham, thanks crimson for that example...honestly i didnt used that variant (with replacing kick+snare) but i will for sure, someday...ill do it without that snare which is in OneMic Nas, becouse i dont like these snares which doesnt have a low low frequence...but yeah ill possibly change the level or something like that....im not in big - but im in some progress about producing my-style beats, thanks again :)

Back