what's a REAL mistake if the record sounds good?

acetheface954

no matter who you are, your tenure in the game, or how well trained you are I think you're going to make mistakes. some noticeable, some not so noticeable. I recently put out a collection of songs and didn't notice until now that my vocals weren't loud enough at a certain level in my mix. it kind of killed me a little when someone pointed it out. it happened a few days ago but it still bothers me. you can still hear the vocals but still I should've done better. so then last night as I drove home I noticed something wrong with the record "every little thing she does is magic" by the police's vocals "seemed" really low. I don't know if this was an oversight or if they just let it all be. because compared to their other records I'm perceiving this classic differently. I spot these little flaws all the time in songs I listen to more and more and can't help to wonder if it's an actual mistake or what? I mean if anyone has something to say about this or you yourself have a story like mine I'd love to hear where you heard it from. thanks guys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aENX1Sf3fgQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbXWrmQW-OE

You can make mistakes trying to work out a math equation. But in music production there is no right answer. Yes vocals maybe could have been louder, bass lower. A flat frequency response is ideal, but I can't say there is ever any mistakes made in music production, but always room for improvement

You can make mistakes trying to work out a math equation. But in music production there is no right answer. Yes vocals maybe could have been louder, bass lower. A flat frequency response is ideal, but I can't say there is ever any mistakes made in music production, but always room for improvement

Well said wapiti. Well said. So have you ever heard a tune that you believe had a "mistake" made to it? Room noise? Something cut off unintentionally?

Well said wapiti. Well said. So have you ever heard a tune that you believe had a "mistake" made to it? Room noise? Something cut off unintentionally?

The reason I started making music was because no one had ever made music the way I wanted it to sound. Every song I hear I hear "mistakes" that I would personally change. Instrumentation, composition, arrangement. Drums out of tune, wrong notes being played. I hear bad recordings with lots of pop p's. Up to debate if these are mistakes or not. Lots of clipping I suppose would be the only true mistake I can think of, can't point you to any tracks unfortunately.

Everyone is at different stages of productions, you have to make hundreds of mistake tracks before you land on one that's good

The reason I started making music was because no one had ever made music the way I wanted it to sound. Every song I hear I hear "mistakes" that I would personally change. Instrumentation, composition, arrangement. Drums out of tune, wrong notes being played. I hear bad recordings with lots of pop p's. Up to debate if these are mistakes or not. Lots of clipping I suppose would be the only true mistake I can think of, can't point you to any tracks unfortunately.

Everyone is at different stages of productions, you have to make hundreds of mistake tracks before you land on one that's good

Yeah clipping sounds about right. I'll admit that I too used my ability to produce as a way to edit a few of my faces in order to recreate to my liking lol. Wrong notes??? Now that's one I haven't heard before.

No piece of music will be truly perfect, but little things like that are what define your songs. Technically your vocal volume isn't a 'mistake', it's just something that one person thinks could be different. Another person might think it sounds good at it's present volume. To most people without a trained ear, they won't notice nor will they care. Who cares if the volume is a little off... be proud of your song as a whole, it's a piece of art no matter what.

Just don't clip, clippings bad.

No piece of music will be truly perfect, but little things like that are what define your songs. Technically your vocal volume isn't a 'mistake', it's just something that one person thinks could be different. Another person might think it sounds good at it's present volume. To most people without a trained ear, they won't notice nor will they care. Who cares if the volume is a little off... be proud of your song as a whole, it's a piece of art no matter what.

Just don't clip, clippings bad.

yeah I know you're right. normal listeners won't hear a difference at all. like how electronic music on the radio squashes what the real record should sound like to save space. I just hope the little mistakes aren't perceived as bad for my tracks.

SIDE NOTE: since you're a DJ/producer I've got an off topic question for you. where do you mostly get music for your sets?

I'm not going to pretend to be all prestigious and say that I buy all my music, because I don't, I have a select group of websites which I use to download everything I want, although I do make the extra effort to search for and download free stuff from soundcloud. I have a well established library of likes and follows on soundcloud for me to access the some really good stuff. If you're ok with downloading music then i'll be happy to give you some pointers on safe/reliable/high quality download websites and artists to look up for certain genres.

I'm not going to pretend to be all prestigious and say that I buy all my music, because I don't, I have a select group of websites which I use to download everything I want, although I do make the extra effort to search for and download free stuff from soundcloud. I have a well established library of likes and follows on soundcloud for me to access the some really good stuff. If you're ok with downloading music then i'll be happy to give you some pointers on safe/reliable/high quality download websites and artists to look up for certain genres.

Lol no it's not for me. I don't buy music myself. Hell I don't even expect people to buy mine. I just have them in stores to track their movement just in case. No I wanted to know where do you guys go so that I can submit.

Lol no it's not for me. I don't buy music myself. Hell I don't even expect people to buy mine. I just have them in stores to track their movement just in case. No I wanted to know where do you guys go so that I can submit.

If you just mean where I source my music, then my top three sites are:
Soundcloud (for free downloads)
FREE Music - www.myfreemp3.biz and
Mrtzc2 | Best Music Search Engine

I never rip music using audio to .mp3 websites, because it will always be poor quality, especially if it's from youtube/soundcloud. Both sites compress their audio down to 128kbps and if you're planning on playing out on big club systems this will be noticeable. The two sites I've listed underneath soundcloud offer HQ 320kbps downloads, just make sure you double check they're clean before you download them and not r adio rips or something. :)

Back