Whats the most I should do IF I plan to send it for a Mix and Master?

Ukemi

Hey guys,

I'm trying to figure out what I should leave and let the mix and mastering engineer do. Should I exclude all reverbs, delays, compression, stereo enhancers, etc. in my project and leave those for the mixing and mastering engineer? Or should I add my own of the above before sending it off for mixing and mastering? What I typically do is start off my productions in Mono, get the arrangement done, and make sure it sounds good. Then, if it sounds good in mono, I'll go back to my tracks and listen in stereo and adjust the pan's, add effects, etc.

Thanks,
Rick

If you did the recording and are sending for a mix, leave out all effects that are meant to make anything sound better. Leave in all effects that are there for creative reasons. Do a rough mix with levels and effects and send that in 2-tracked as a reference. If you trust the mixing engineer, just send the stems and have the mixing engineer work his/her magic.

If you're sending in for mastering, ideally, nothing or very little processing on the master. Some people add reverb on the master either in the mix or master stage, but again, typically, leave this to the mastering engineer. Some people like certain compressors to gel tracks down, but if all compressors kind of sound the same to you, just leave compressors or limiters off the master track before you send for mastering.

Back