Whats the best settings for a chorus effect on your lead vocals (hip-hop track)

JLoon219

What settings should be good for a chorus effect on your lead vocals...I always emphasize the chorus effect on my hooks but i want to know how to use it on my lead vocals

I don't like to use the chorus effect on leads because to me it sounds to unrealistic for a lead vocal. Backgrounds and hooks are ok but I think the chorus effect does not replicate the timing and natural accent changes that you would get by just using two takes and doubling the vocals. Sounds like "T" for example seemed to become smeared a little when using the chorus effect, where when using two vocal tracks you can better control that sound on one layer. Just my two cent.

I don't like to use the chorus effect on leads because to me it sounds to unrealistic for a lead vocal. Backgrounds and hooks are ok but I think the chorus effect does not replicate the timing and natural accent changes that you would get by just using two takes and doubling the vocals. Sounds like "T" for example seemed to become smeared a little when using the chorus effect, where when using two vocal tracks you can better control that sound on one layer. Just my two cent.

What do you suggest are good effects to use on lead vocals?

Why are effects a must on the lead vocal?

Delays, small amounts of reverb are usually all that's on industry tracks. A lot of filtering goes into the leads on hook parts or bridges sometimes but rarely are there other things on the lead of a verse.

If there isn't a specific thing you want (like pitch modulation on kesha's songs or just sayin this voice needs more presence etc) adding another effect just for the sake of it may just end up hurting your vocals more than helping.

What do you suggest are good effects to use on lead vocals?

Well it depends on the vocals and what the needs of the track are. Maybe a little delay would be the only thing I would say that I would add to any lead vocal all the time. I usually add effects to lead vocals for correction of something rather than for the effect itself unless I am going for something verry specific. Maybe add an EQ to add some air or maybe a vintage compressor to add warmth. I think you get more out of applying a little reverb, good mic and a good recording enviroment at the recording stage then what I can do with the vocals after the fact.

For lead vocals, heres something thats you might like. Record your verse 3 seperate times the same way so every word hits the same at the same time. If you got access to vocalign that reallly helps with this too. Pan two of the vocal takes hard left and hard right and leave one up with middle. Reduce the volume of the panned vocals until you get a nice mix and are happy with the sound. Record your dubs/punch ins the same way and add a bit of reverb to them and a bit of stereo delay. See what that does for ya.

For lead vocals, heres something thats you might like. Record your verse 3 seperate times the same way so every word hits the same at the same time. If you got access to vocalign that reallly helps with this too. Pan two of the vocal takes hard left and hard right and leave one up with middle. Reduce the volume of the panned vocals until you get a nice mix and are happy with the sound. Record your dubs/punch ins the same way and add a bit of reverb to them and a bit of stereo delay. See what that does for ya.

Cbrewer... I don't think panning hard left and hard right is the way to go about panning. I think you should find your "lead" take and leave that in the center, then pan the other two takes makeing sure to keep a stereo balance.

with that said.There is no right way, but this is too "ammeter" to my standards. thats like using a preset.

---------- Post added at 03:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:28 PM ----------

I think the chorus effect can be lowered enough to just fatten things up. Sometimes a flanger sounds good.

Try this...
a little reverb, and on the lead takes, try a 1/4 note delay (if your session tempo is in time) or set it manually
and turn the level of the delay down a lot. and set it so it only will echo once (Very common technique in professional mixes)

Compression and EQ. Usually at least a low cut and a notch towards the high end. I put more effects on vocals than anything else.

Back