What's this bass drum phasing effect called?

Laocorn

Forgive me for being vague, and not havin any song examples to name but I've heard this. It's like an effect where the volume of the song phases out briefly when the bass drums hit along a 1 2 3 4 beat pattern, know what I mean?

This is called sidechain compression. Sidechaining is a technique where the audio signal of a track is used to trigger a device - theoretically it can be used in a number of ways, but the vastly most popular and well-known application is with compression – basically the bass drum hit is being used to "activate" the compressor, which then pushes down the level of the track(s) it's on. If this sounds complicated, you can just think of it as volume automation for the rest of the tracks, excluding the bass drum.

I see, thanks. Got any song examples?

Also, I use reason 10 and reaper. Gotta see what ways I can do this in these daws when I get him.

I was going to shamelessly plug myself but I couldn't do it lol I use side chain compression on almost every beat/song I make. It's the perfect way to create more balance in your mix but it can also be used in a more aggressive matter to create a cool effect (like what you referring too).
Lofi uses this technique a lot. Check it out.

Last edited:
Back