What is unity gain?

wisebaxter442

Hey guys, after many searches online I have been able to find a concise explanation of this concept of unity gain so have turned to this forum which has saved my butt countless times. Everyone's talking about how important unity gain is and one guy even named his studio 'unity gain studio!' In specific I'm wondering how I would set it up for an outboard synth (mininova) plugged into a Focusrite 2i2 with the signal then outputting to studio monitors. Using Cubase 5 as my Daw. Can someone please offer us an easy to understand explanation of this clandestine practice? ??

Hey guys, after many searches online I have been able to find a concise explanation of this concept of unity gain so have turned to this forum which has saved my butt countless times. Everyone's talking about how important unity gain is and one guy even named his studio 'unity gain studio!' In specific I'm wondering how I would set it up for an outboard synth (mininova) plugged into a Focusrite 2i2 with the signal then outputting to studio monitors. Using Cubase 5 as my Daw. Can someone please offer us an easy to understand explanation of this clandestine practice? 

Unity gain means that you leave the Cubase/Pro Tools volume fader untouched at 0. At this setting you have neither boosted or attenuated the input/output signal level. In Pro Tools and also in Cubase (the newer versions) you can from this level further boost the signal by +12 dB (by +6 dB in Cubase 5).

When at this default setting you import a track of audio, lets say a commercial wav file, then you will notice that at the default unity gain setting, the colored meter at the default metering setting of "sample peak" (in Pro Tools) will show bars that will peak near -0 dBFS because the advanced metering settings for "sample peak" has 0 dB calibrated to 0 dBFS.

Beyond this, the sample peak number indicator will show the true peak value relative to 0 dBFS (not relative to 0 dB). Now, what this means is that you can calibrate the colored meter to show different bar "heights" depending on certain meter behavior, such as e.g. setting the 0 dB to -6 dBFS, which will render the colored bar "heights" at 0 when the audio is at a level of the max output level capacity of your audio interface's output stage, minus -6 dB.

This means that -0 dBFS in your DAW is not necessarily -0 dBFS in my DAW. (in absolute dBu terms, eventhough identical metering calibration configuration is used in both DAWs and eventhough the dBFS values register the same inside of each DAW)

If I would use let's say a FF 800 converter, and you would use let's say an Apogee Symphony, then if we would measure the voltage coming out from my DAW at -0 dBFS and compare that to the voltage coming out from your DAW at -0 dBFS, we would notice a huge difference in that you get much higher voltages out.

This is why it is so incredibly important to have high capacity in the input and output stages of your converter, it's everything (because a lot of non-harmonic noise such as the noise of the noise floor eats up the emotions of your mix).

The more resistance you have there, the more in the dark you are as an engineer.

So, 0 dBFS is a measurement that shows how close you are to the full input/output level capacity of your audio interface. Now, in terms of gain staging ITB, unity gain means little. In Pro Tools the insert tracks are post fader.

This also includes the master fader. So for instance if you have a compressor as an insert effect on the master bus and adjust the master fader up, then you push more signal into the compressor, you do not raise the level of the compressed signal, that's the difference.

In Cubase 5 this might be different, I can't remember, but it is a very important thing to be aware of. Secondly, you should focus on the gain structure of your mix, meaning how the signal is boosted and attenuated at each process stage (e.g. insert fx). If you for instance boost the master fader to +12 dB while the input track faders are very attenuated (lowered in volume), then you are bringing up the noise of the noise floor by +12 dB.

Similarly, when you have a lot of boosts everywhere in the mix because the input level was too low at each process stage, then that will also accumulate into more noise.

The same with compressor make up gain, you always get some added noise in there.

So pay attention to signal boosts at a lot of places, try to narrow down such that you attenuate the input signal and boost the output signal as little as possible at each process stage.

This will ensure you keep as much of the original sound source present in the mix, while providing maximum signal to the fxs, while keeping the noise floor down to max.

When you work in an environment with a lot of "resistance" (which exists in multiple components), then what happens is that you lose track of the gain staging.

What in a low resistance environment would be solved by an attenuation of let's say -3dB could in a high resistance environment result in a -7dB cut.

Similarly, in a pro studio a limiter could be set at threshold of -1.5 dB while doing the same in a home studio environment could result in a threshold of -3 dB.

All of those signal losses accumulate into weak and bad sounding mixes compared to pro mixes.

When you perform gain staging, remember that the gain/volume faders always attenuate/boost all frequencies, indirectly meaning all noise frequencies.

As you can imagine it does not sound sweet to let the mix sink into the noise floor without any control of how much it has done so.

I recommend that you use volume faders to set the max attenuation level of each track at the most minimum possible (for your needs and with a possible post-fader behavior in mind depending on the DAW software in use) and from there use EQs and multiband compressors to further attenuate or boost various frequencies.

This helps to control the noise frequencies of each track. When you don't go this route and especially in high resistance environments, what happens is that the noise eats up your mix.

To get a good understanding about the importance of this, take the most emotional reference mix you know and let it sink well into the noise floor.

Then compensate such that the loudness is the same on both versions. Then bounce, dither, playback and compare. You will be amazed at the difference.

Then do the same however focusing the noise to a particular band. It does not sound as bad although the frequency balance has been damaged it still does not sound as bad, because the noise frequencies in the other bands are less active relative to the other version you compare against.

With great gear and monitoring (and skills) you can hence achieve great signal to noise levels and this will boost the emotion of your final product.

Also remember that you have limited headroom and a summing engine at the end, so for instance a high track count with a lot of parallel processing can yield a lot of noise at the summing stage and not only that but it will give you tons of phase inaccuracies too.

This and especially in a high resistance context will simply not sound good.

Think of the impact of both resistance and noise not only at the stereo level, but also at L, R, M, S individually per band. And remember that it is the hard panned/S component of your mix where the ears are the most sensitive to noise. Noise in general should be focused towards the M component rather than the S component. The S component should be kept as clean from noise as possible, which is the case 1 times out of 10.

Last edited by a moderator:
You may as have typed that in Cantonese I'm afraid. I'm surprised this thread has received only 1 reply. I thought unity gain was important...

Maybe because it’s quite self explanatory as the clue is in the words used. Laurend summed it up succinctly above. To make it more explicit for you, a gain knob is a knob that gives you the ability to change the amplitude of a signal as it passes from the input of a system to its output. Therefore, unity gain is where the output amplitude or a signal is the same as its input, vis a vis, it’s at unity.

Hey, thanks so much for that succinct reply. When I said you may as well be speaking in Cantonese before I'd only seen the short version you posted and didn't notice the longer one sorry

I didn't notice darkreds longer post before, only the short one, which is why I said he may as well be speaking Cantonese. It has been summed up here very well. Thanks for the help

Last edited by a moderator:
I would only add this though

a dB level in terms of volume faders should be considered as follows

actual effect on level = 10[sup]db/20[/sup]

therefore unity gain i.e. 0dB = 10[sup]0/20[/sup] = 1 (anything to the power of 0 = 1)

-20dB on the fader: -20dB = 10[sup]-20/20[/sup] = 0.1 times or 1/10th

-40dB on the fader: -40dB = 10[sup]-40/20[/sup] = 0.01 times or 1/100th

+6dB on the fader: 6dB = 10[sup]6/20[/sup] = 1.99 times (near enough to 2 but the fader level would be 6.02 for a real value of 2)

and yes the mathematics is important: it will help you visualise what your mix is actually doing at any one point

going the other way,

we want to reduce the level by 2 times we do this:

20*log[sub]10[/sub](1/2) = 20 x -0.301 = -6.02dB

we want to reduce the level by 10

20*log[sub]10[/sub](1/10) = 20 x -1 = -20dB

we want to reduce the level by 1000

20*log[sub]10[/sub](1/1000) = 20 x -3 = -60dB

That's great but I'm afraid I have no idea what it all means. Sounds like unity gain is quite an advanced concept. From the comments above all I really understand is 'keep the noise levels down and use EQ rather than raising the faders.' But that sounds more like gain staging. What do I 'physically' have to do to my setup to ensure unity gain is applied? Or is there no easy answer to this? Maybe I'm too much of a beginner to take all this in

Last edited:
Unity is simply 1 meaning no loss or gain - 0dB in this context means no change

there is the concept of nominal operating level which is that each stage should output 0dB (either dBm or dBu or DBv) i.e. no loss or gain as a result of going through each stage in your processing, so yes it is about gain staging at every step

the problem today is that daws do not show their levels as dBm or dBu or dBv but as dBFS

0dBFS is not the same as 0dBm or 0dBu or 0dBv, as it is the absolute maximum the daw can reproduce

instead you should be thinking of your 0dB value in dBm or dBu or dBv or dBRMS as being equivalent to -20dBFS or -14dBFS or -12dBFS

Unity is simply 1 meaning no loss or gain - 0dB in this context means no change

there is the concept of nominal operating level which is that each stage should output 0dB (either dBm or dBu or DBv) i.e. no loss or gain as a result of going through each stage in your processing, so yes it is about gain staging at every step

the problem today is that daws do not show their levels as dBm or dBu or dBv but as dBFS

0dBFS is not the same as 0dBm or 0dBu or 0dBv, as it is the absolute maximum the daw can reproduce

instead you should be thinking of your 0dB value in dBm or dBu or dBv or dBRMS as being equivalent to -20dBFS or -14dBFS or -12dBFS

Ok I now get the concept that you need to keep the output the same as the input, that makes sense.

So I turn down each fader leave myself some headroom and then make sure I boost the output every time I boost the input? For example, I do some EQ'ing and then turn up the fader a bit to compensate? Or is there another way to boost the output?

If I went down to -10dbfs would that be enough? How do I know the minimum level I should come down to? So 0dBFS is really 0-20dBm or -14dBu etc...Does that mean I already have some headroom as I'm in minus figures? Or should I be coming down to -20dBFS with the fader?

Should I be turning my synth up to max volume to get the richest, best recording possible whilst keeping the volume on my Focusrite line ins down quite low so I don't boost the signal too much? Or is there a desired way of combining the two?

Some of these questions may sound a bit nonsensical as I'm a complete beginner to gain staging. Some further reading is required I think.

each plug-in in your signal chain should provide you with the option to modify the output level so that there is no nett loss of signal due to processing

i.e. the fader is the last resort for this issue not the first

So if I was using an external synth, not a plug in, where would the control for this output level be if not the fader? I'm using Cubase 5

So when using Cubase 5 should I just come down to -6db on the fader straight away? Or re-calibrate like you said. Is there anything to stop me coming even lower than this, to give myself more headroom?

unity gain = equality; level in equals level out; multiplication times 1.
amplification = level in times a number greater than 1
attenuation = level in times a number less than 1 = level in divided by a number greater than 1

and you thought you'd never need math :)

My question is still 'how do I ensure unity gain is adhered to on my DAW?' The mathematics are interesting but can someone provide an example, step by step, using a hypothetical situation, to demonstrate how unity gain is kept?

My question is still 'how do I ensure unity gain is adhered to on my DAW?' The mathematics are interesting but can someone provide an example, step by step, using a hypothetical situation, to demonstrate how unity gain is kept?

aw man, geez. anytime the sound level isn't being boosted nor cut down, that's unity gain. do you really need more?

Lol I've been given many explanations, for which I'm eternally grateful, but I was just wondering if someone could give me a real world example of how unity gain has been achieved (or lost) in a certain configuration. I kind of understand things but I need to visualise it. Maybe someone could write me a poem? :) kidding.

Back