What type of delay is this?

AG Beats

Never mind the fact that you can hardly understand the lyrics, I just want to know how they get the delay to be a whole phrase? Even when I use a send track the delay seems to only want to repeat the last word or whatever. Do you think this was a duplicate, copy, paste? Or maybe duplicate and move back then put delay on the duplicate? It's like a different amount of words that echo each time......

I hope yall get what I'm saying. Did they automate the delay?

Example 1:15 : "Mexico Ran thats my nigga Gucci know he certified BMG (Bmg, Bmg, Bmg)
I **** with Shawty Lo but I told that nigga Stunman to come and **** with me (**** with me, **** with me, **** with me)"

Last edited:
Zaytoven uses a slow release time and attack time for ALL his instruments it seems. It's not really a delay effect as much as a tremolo plus a a slow attack time and slow release time in the compressor.

Last edited:
So how does he get the echoe on the vocals then? You say it's tremelo not delay? I never ****ed with tremelo really.

Zay is so ****in sick lol this is definitely one of my favorite beats ever by him. And the flow and echo kill it I just wish you could really understand the shit.

Also what you think them chords are? Some kind of organ?

Oh you meant the voice! I should've read the example, I was speaking of the beat haha.

Yeah they just automated the delay. but the key is to do it on an AUXILIARY track. not your main vocals.

Oh you meant the voice! I should've read the example, I was speaking of the beat haha.

Yeah they just automated the delay. but the key is to do it on an AUXILIARY track. not your main vocals.
Yeah I always do that type of stuff on send/aux tracks. I guess I just gotta find the right settings on the delay and the right automation. I got tired of ****ing with it cause the only place my mic is set up is outside and it's hot as hell out there lol

Yeah I always do that type of stuff on send/aux tracks. I guess I just gotta find the right settings on the delay and the right automation. I got tired of ****ing with it cause the only place my mic is set up is outside and it's hot as hell out there lol

then you're already a step ahead lol. you record your vocals outside? any particular reason?

then you're already a step ahead lol. you record your vocals outside? any particular reason?

haha cause right now I'm still living at home and don't want my parents to hear me. I don't actually rap, the only time I do is to get practice mixing vocals/playing with effects like today. So that's why, as corny a reason as it is lol

There's nothing corny about that. That is a good habit to get into if you're the creative type.

To this day I don't let people watch me work. Then that's giving them free ammunition to do the things I do with my music you know?

There's nothing corny about that. That is a good habit to get into if you're the creative type.

To this day I don't let people watch me work. Then that's giving them free ammunition to do the things I do with my music you know?

Yeah lol gotta keep your techniques secret. I don't really mind letting people see me make beats but Im not really a rapper so I definitely cant do that in front of people.

I am a rapper first and a producer second. I have techniques for both that I know for a fact no one else uses so I keep them under wraps. Lol

Quarter note delays, just automate the delay to turn on at the end of the phrase, and back off again so it doesn't clash when the beginning of the next bar comes in...

Quarter note delays, just automate the delay to turn on at the end of the phrase, and back off again so it doesn't clash when the beginning of the next bar comes in...

I use a 4:00 delay but I thnk I need to mess with the cutoff settings or volume or something cause when I was doing it it would repeat only the last word of the phrase instead of the whole phrase.

so, without listening, but having read everything shared in this thread so far - you need to set the delay time to be equal to the phrase length - which makes this a post-production gig.

Why set it to the length of the phrase - because you want it to capture whole phrase but not sound until the phrase has ended.

Then it comes back to whether you want it repeat more than once.

If you want multiple repeats that are closer together, then you need to feed the output of the first delay to a second delay with a shorter time. if you want multiple repeats without each delay unit starting starting over, then you need to use multiple delays, kind of like the old school tape tap delay units.

If your delay was on through the whole phrase it'd get pretty messy though? thought you wanted it only on the last word like the track you posted?

I'll have to see what chaining a delay send to a second delay send does and mess around with settings. THanks BC.

I just got a similar effect but it's not quite what I wanted I just made it work

If you still can't get it to sound right through delay then just manually chop it yourself... break it all down to a new track, and copy and paste whatever word or words you want delayed, then automate the volume to fade out

Back