What is "stereo spread?" or "stereo separation"?

Big Russ

Im not sure what it actually is but I was using my FL Studio 6 XXL edition's mixer and i found a preset of "mastering". and when i dragged it into the mixer, it had a "stereo separation" tool. What exactly does that do?

i was playin with it a lil and i found out that the more i add, the sound of the master mix got sharper with less bass.

Can somebody tell me what it is and how to use it??

I'm sure someone with more experience could give you a definitive answer, but basically a stereo imager can give you the impression that the mix is spread out over a larger stereo field - IE, stuff sounds like its panned out further. It has to be used in moderation, or else you'll lose your center channel (which is probably why you heard less bass).

Last edited:
"Mastering" presets... :monkey: Two words that shouldn't even be in the same sentence together.

there are basically 2 methods you need to distinguish:

1. M/S widening, increasing the amplitude of the difference signal "S". the most common widening method, many people say it's dangerous, but that's not true - it's as dangerous as panning (they mean method 2.). of course, it will attenuate the center indirectly... ...but that's what you want: its widening! (add a phase inverted mono version to your stereo original signal, it's the same thing) :)

2. a phase-inverted version of the L signal is added to the R channel - and the same (or similar) thing with R and L (sometimes symmetric sometimes not. it's a way of "bigger than life" panning). this one creates a strange hole at the center (again, that's widening - the opposite of centering) but creates serious mono incompatibility and extremely unreliable results (sounds completely different on any system). it doesn't mean it's forbidden - it makes sense for occasional special effects in music and is often used in film fx. just avoid it on "important" tracks.

Last edited:
Back