What are some decent Headphones?

Audio Technica usually has some under $100 but dunno for over $150. I usually mix/master on speakers.

Last edited:
This will sound slightly unorthodox, but I recommend a 'crap' pair of Audio-Technica ath-m40x. Why recommend crap headphones? Because... even if you fork out £10,000 for a pair, they still won't be truly flat. However... you can get some very nifty software from SonarWorks called 'Reference 3'. They have analysed the frequency curves of a large number of headphones, providing an average calibration for each model (you can pay for a custom calibration but imo the average is fine).

The software is 99 euros, the headphones cost me around £75. You can demo it for free; check if they have an average calibration for your headphones, if they have, trust me CHECK THIS SOFTWARE OUT.

Everyone I've demo'd it to has been left slack-jawed at how it can turn a nasty crap pair of headphones into a beautiful, flat listening experience. And no, I don't work for Sonarworks, but I have bought the software and use it daily as second reference / nightly as a means to produce without pissing off the neighbours.

If you produce primarily on headphones, you NEED this software.

I got the SONY MDR-7506, they are nice!! I'm currently without sound monitors and I'm only mixing and composing with him. Got not to complain about.

I'm the happy owner of
Beyer 880 >> open design >> super confortable
Focal Spirit PRO >> closed back >> super accurate

Hi. I've been using my Audio Technica m50x for a couple of years now and I'm really happy with the sound. They give good detail on the panning, delays, and reverbs. I'd still prefer using Yamaha HS8s for the final mix down though.

I think the Audeze LCD-2 headphones are good because they do not over emphasize the low end so that the low end becomes distracting. You can mix it bright and it will have enough low end too.

Epsilon-144 got it down, Audio Technica (I have the ATH-M50x's) makes some SERIOUSLY good shit. Pretty flat EQ and very good for mixing from another perspective. My ATH-M50x's were one of the best audio-related purchases I've ever made.

Make sure to consider your DA conversion

I run a pair of Sennheiser HD600's being fed from a Benchmark DAC/1 it's a nice combination especially with Sonarworks thrown on top :)

I've been very impressed with my AKG Q701 series phones.. They are very detailed once you break them in. When I first got them I was not happy but then after I read the break in time was 48-72 hrs, I was then impressed with it's quality. You can hear very distinct sounds in the mix and pinpoint certain sounds and frequencies to work on. I would def recommend. I don't know if they are still available. They are the Quincy Jones Limited edition ones. But Im sure the regular AKG 701's are the same ones.

Back