What software should i use to sample, record, mix, master?

Really?!

I hope you're just trolling and not serious.

Which is more beautiful, red or green?

Which is better bananas or mangos?

This is a question that can't be answered by anyone else but yourself.

If you narrow down the question, you might be able to get an answer.

Peace.

In the production world, this is like asking for what religion to follow.

There's really no answer, but I will say that Pro Tools is the standard in professional music. It's been taught in schools for years, and is incredibly capable.

I used fruity loops for years, and while it's good, it should only be something you use because you already have it. If you have your choice of software, I see 0 reason to go to fruity loops.

Logic Pro is mac only but is very nice and clean. It's easy to learn (it's based off of garageband) and integrates very well with Midi.
Pro tools has a much steeper learning curve, but I like it better for mixing. It's also more geared towards live music, while Logic is geared more towards electronic (not that Pro Tools and Logic can't do both functions).

I have heard nothing but good things about Ableton, but can't comment on it. All I know is some kids in my class have logic and pro tools and won't shut up about it.

Also can't comment on cubase or studio one, but I hear they're great.

Again, you will get a lot of different replies from a lot of people. We defend our DAW's with tenacity. I just like Pro Tools because it's very capable and the standard in the industry. You can get certification on Pro Tools for your job applications.

While there is no real answer, I'm just gonna tell you straight up: Don't get fruity loops. Just don't. I used to defend it just like lots of people because it was all I had. I got logic and Pro Tools and haven't looked back.

DO NOT GET FRUITY LOOPS.

I'm a software engineer by profession and I use Ableton. I think it's best for me because it's extremely versatile and less abstract. The learning curve can be steep, but if you can dream of something you want to do creatively, you can create a setup and establish a process that will make it easy forever in Ableton. If what you want to do is very standard and you want something more abstract, maybe it's not right.

Overall, I'll tell you with Ableton the hardest part is figuring out WHAT you want to learn to do. Once that's established it's very clear cut, but if you just go in there and start ****ing around you're going to get lost.

Back